1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder to TV

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by anandg, Aug 23, 2004.

1. anandg

anandg Member

Hi Experts,

I have a Canon Camcorder and I have recorded a recent trip of ours. I want to save this in a VCD format. I had taked the following steps for the same.

Downloaded on the computer using MGI videowave 4, this does not have any settings for the format in which to download.

After this I am using Nero to write out the VCD. The problem is that the quality of the picture when viewing on the TV is not good, there are too many small square blocks which are getting formed when viewing the same. If I see the picture directly from the camcorder it is a good quality picture.

Can somebody help me in improving the quality by givin g some other steps which improve the quality.

Anand

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

dont use nero to encode your files, it is one of the worst quality encoders going around.
    use a real encoder like tmpgenc, cce or mainconcept to convert your files, then all you need nero for is to author and burn.

3. anandg

anandg Member

Thanks Mick,

One more thing, could you suggest me some setting for the best video reproduction , or should I just use the default settings.

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

well that depends on which encoder you use. i use tmpgenc so if you use that go to motion search precision and set it to high quality in the video tab in settings(not highest because you'll get the same results as with high but it will take you double the time). you can fiddle around with the bitrate to increase the quality as well by going to load>>unlock.mcf then go to bitrate in the video tab and increase it to however much you want, but a warning tho your dvd player might not be able to playback the file because increaseing or decreaseing the bitrate renders the mpeg non-standard, if your dvd player is not able to playback the vcd just stick with the standard bitrate. but dont worry if your source is good enough which it should seeing its directly from a camcorder then a standard compliant vcd should come out looking quite good.

if your player can handle higher bitrates then dont up the bitrate stupidly like to 5000kbps or you'll only be able to fit 10-15 minutes on 1 cd, 2000kbps is a good bitrate setting and you'll be able to fit about 45-50 minutes on 1 cd with very good quality. the higher the bitrate the better the quality and less blockyness appears. also 1 other option if you still think there is alotta blockiness in the picture, goto quantize matrix and check soften block noise this should help to soften out some of that blockyness.

cheerz...goodluck

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

You also might consider spending the $50 and get yourself a DVD Burner...You can get 6 to 8 Hours of VCD quality Video on a Single DVD so you can put 4 movies on one DVD were you will have to Put one Movie on 2 CD-R"s....