1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Can’t find the update disc. Please insert the disc" error

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Iconaw1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

Here's what the Xbox 360 is doing: I power on the Xbox and all the lights are normal, the Xbox logo screen boots up then it goes immediately to a purple screen that says "Can’t find the update disc. Please insert the disc" ok so I downloaded the update disk from xbox.com and burned it to a DVD+R and popped it in the Xbox and press the button and I get a screen that shows the progress of the update, and then it goes to a screen that says you cannot update this Xbox please call Microsoft. yad yad. I’ve tried to boot the Xbox with the update disk in the Xbox, still the same and I’ve also try to run the update using a USB stick, still the same, the Xbox can not be returned.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Did you contact MS support?

3. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

Put in the last game that u played before the system started doing that. That fixed my problem

4. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

I got the system on ebay, and dont know what game it is, but i will try to find out, do you know where i can find a list of the games that have the updates?

5. Astromic

Astromic Member

Every game has the update. You have to put in the exact game that it was updating from to finish its update.

The reason for this error from my understanding is that your xbox has an older firmware on it that the new update stops, usually something as old as xtreme 3.x. What you need to do is update your firmware on your box first, then continue with the game update from that exact game, and your golden.

I had this exact same problem last year when the spring patch came out for crackdown. But I knew what did it and what game it was that crashed my machine and was an easy fix.

But just finding the game won't fix it because the update kills your machine until you get a current firmware that is smarter then the update.

6. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

So your saying that you think the Xbox had been modded with a hacked firmware and then Game update locked up the xbox because it had the hacked firmware?

And so if i flash the dvd-rom with a new hacked firmware and then put the game back in it should fix the prob.

7. Astromic

Astromic Member

Basically yes, but you need the exact game that locked up the box last time to fix it. Like if it got locked up from Crackdown, you need Crackdown to unlock it after you update your firmware. If you just put in crackdown w/o a firmware update, then you will be exactly where you are right now.

8. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

Cool thanks for the info, i just need to see if the guy i bought it from will give me that info.

By the way do you know what the latest firmware is for a Samsung dvd rom?

9. Dindi304

Dindi304 Guest

Ahh i thought i was right about the last game thing beacuse when i modded my friends xbox the same thing happened to us. As for the lastest samsung drive im at school and it wont allow me to look that up sorry

10. wabashman

wabashman Active member

1.4 is the latest i believe.

11. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

xtreme 1.4?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  12. kainzow

kainzow Member

This happened to me as well. I have one game that I have played. I insert that and it does not finish updating. Any other ideas?

I am using xtreme 1.4 on a benq drive. However, when I flashed it I used 1234567 61005 as my s/n. Is that a problem?

Sorry, I AM a newbie, but have read nearly everything I could before posting...

Thanks.

13. Sharkboy7

Sharkboy7 Member

Hi there, thought I would revive this thread and add what my experience has been with this problem.

My xbox has never been modded, and the problem started after watching a movie and then turning it off (retail dvd). I've been looking into it for a couple of weeks now and posting on another forum about it, here is the information from that post. Basically I believe I've run myself out of options, so any other input would be greatly appreciated:

This is a fairly large quote so I hope I'm not offending anyone, just trying to give all the information I've picked up in the issue.

Anyone have anything to add that we may not have tried yet? Thanks in advance!

14. Iconaw1

Iconaw1 Member

Well I think it is a bad epprom flash, that’s the only thing I can think of. I’m wondering if a modchip with epprom bypass would fix it. I’m not sure they even have those for the 360. I have since reflash with the new 1.4 firmware with no luck.

15. sierra99

sierra99 Member

16. slimdawg

slimdawg Regular member

unfortunately those are the breaks when you deal with ebay 360s. I've had my fair share of bad flashes and hack jobs.

17. Sharkboy7

Sharkboy7 Member

Here's a little snippet I found that may be of interest:

Now here's the part that interests me:

So apparently the core system can run just fine without the eeprom. Possible course of action? Opinions? I may just try this since I have nothing to lose and don't really care if I ever fix this thing. I'll have to run out and grab a kit though this weekend so it's gonna be awhile before I have any results.

18. sierra99

sierra99 Member

Mine that is giving me trouble does not have the eeprom chip on it.

19. Sharkboy7

Sharkboy7 Member

Interesting, well I think we've pretty much established that it's a mainboard issue and not drive firmware. So at least we have a new path of investigation. My theory was that my eeprom was close to the CPU so it may have gotten cooked/corrupted when my box first went rrod. However, since yours doesn't have it, then it's possibly info stored on another chip somwewhere close by. What's your manufacture date? Mine is Sept 2005.

20. sierra99

sierra99 Member

mine is 07-2006

I am waiting for my via pci sata card to come in and I will try to flash it with xtreme 1.4