1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can 1x hurt

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by actech, Feb 17, 2005.

1. actech

actech Regular member

i've noticed finger prints dont seem to bother originals but backup dont like them at all. i started burning at 2x/2.4x and fingerprints(kids) dont seem as critical. the question- i swore i read or was told that 1x burning can either damage the burner (pioneer 107) or the media, is this true? if it makes a "deeper" burn with no downfall i'm never in that big of a hurry to make a backup to sacrifice quality
    thank you kurt

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those finger prints will cause you problems if you are trying to rip them.Usually a crc error.

I don't think the slower speed causes a deeper burn. Slower speeds are necessary if you are using poor media or certain stand alones can only read the slower speed.

I don't know about trying to burn a disc that has finger prints. I inspect every disc whether it is blank/origianl, or burned that goes into my dvd drives/players. I always keep eyeglass cleaner and a silk-lint free cloth around.

With the higher quality media and burners out there,a little faster burning is easier.4x is par. I have no trouble with 8x,but still keep it at 4x..

Some of the media out there won't let you burn at 1x. Your burner's firmware will decide what speeds it will burn each type of media. If you can keep it at 1x and happy with the results,I can't see how it can damage your burner.It should be less stress on the burner.
    Maybe someone else can tell us if it is fact or just an urban legend. Later

3. actech

actech Regular member

i dont burn anything with finger prints. i just mean ive notice originals with finger prints (not scratches) play in my stand alone just fine. take a 8x burn and put 1 thumb print on it and it skips, take a 2x and it takes more than 1 to skip it. so i just figured 1x would just about have to be scratched to skip. thanks