1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a bad ribbon cable cause me to get no power?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by gnznroses, Dec 14, 2004.

1. gnznroses

gnznroses Member

i have a v3 ps2 with a no-solder modchip. the other day i held down the button for 3 secs to eject the tray and it wouldn't eject. you could hear it trying to or something but it couldn't. and it would still eject the normal way, just pressing the button. and if you ejected it the normal way, then held down the button, it would close really fast, the way it does with the modchip.

i didn't know what was wrong but only thing i knew to try was to see if the chip and/or ribbon cable to the eject button was loose.

the chip did seem a little loose and after plugging the system back in, then the tray wouldn't eject at all...

i unplugged the ribbon cable from the chip and then plugged it back in. HERE'S WHERE I MESSED UP. i accidentally plugged the cable in upside down.

after that i get nothing. no power lights, no noise, nothing on the screen. nothing.

so here's my question: did i blow a fuse, or is it possible that the cable is bad (it is a bit scratched, etc) and without the cable working the system won't even turn on?

cause if it's the cable i can fix that. but i know i can't change fuses.

oh, btw, i also tried my system without the chip, and get the same result.

2. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

aiight,

V3 PS2, with no solder chip??? Do they exist???
    I know there are v4s and v5/v6/v7s

Try holding the eject button in for 5-10secs, and make sure any cables you have touched are orientated correctly.

Fuses, In my v1-v3 aus PS2 I can see at least 1 fuse, Im sure it would be a 3AG mini fuse, you can tell by looking at it if its a fast or slow blow fuse (fast have a hair thin strip of wire, slow have a coil). However you need to know the value in milliamps (mA)

Good Luck

3. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

I accidentally put the power/eject ribbon in upside down in my V4...didn't blow anything...and it shouldn't since the traces are only accessible from one side of the ribbon cable...unless your cable is significantly different than mine.

4. gnznroses

gnznroses Member

that's exactly what i thought Iguana, i didn't see how it could blow it. but it was just odd that after that i get no power.

i probably blew a fuse, and i downloaded a diagram of the fuse locations. but i can't figure out how to even get to the circuit board... cause there's that metal plate on the top side.

i might just hafta take it somewhere and have it repaired, but i dunno where would be a good place that does that, and i don't wanna pay $60-$70 to get it done.

any thoughts?

5. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

The metal plate comes off...somehow =)

There are like 8 small screws holding the metal plates on both sides of the motherboard together...undo those screws and it should come apart. My V9 took a little firm coaxing but finally separated...had to gently work around the edges then suddenly it just popped apart.

There is one fuse I remember seeing on the power supply board that's pretty obvious.

6. gnznroses

gnznroses Member

hmm, i still can't get the plates off. maybe i'm not even doing it right. do you access the fuses from the top of the system? cause looking at it from the top front, i have a huge metal plate going from the front to back and from the far-left of the system over to the disk drive. and for some odd reason there's a large box-shaped piece of metal in the center of the plate, with rows of thin metal going up and down it.

i don't see any screws, other than the ones needed to hold the top cover on -- they do go through the plate. only screws i see are just to hold the fan on and to hold on the controller/memory card ports.

anyways, someone on another forum makes a good point in saying when you turn the system on it starts in stand-by mode. so if the ribbon cable to my reset/eject buttons is broke there'd be no way to start the system and i may just need a new cable.

oh, and i was wrong, i have a v4 system. it's a series 3001 (if i remember right), which makes it a v4.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  7. gnznroses

gnznroses Member

alright, i finally got the real deal on what's wrong with my system. first off, it's a V7, i finally looked it up... and we tested the ribbon cable, it's fine. tested the power supply and it's fine too. we tested all the fuses and the PS1 0.4 Amp fuse is apparently blown. So now what?..... The thing is soldered on the circuit board so i dunno how to change it... So I figure I can either A) take the board to a computer repair place and just ask em if they'll change it for a small fee, or B) solder right over the freakin thing, bypassing it, and then just not using my modchip again. cause i hear those no-solder chips are bad about blowing fuses, aren't they?

8. cletos

cletos Guest

hey my v5/v6 has the same prob.the thing is i accidentilly bust the ribbon when i screwed the cover back on ,now i have a new ribbon but on power.where can i download a fuse diagram and r u sure its that fuse

9. gnznroses

gnznroses Member

i actually did a google search and found several pages, even two on this site saying the no-solder chip blew their PS1 fuse. one guy replaced it and kept his chip in, and it blew it again. and a couple pages said that when that happens it can also blow the BA58 chip, whatever that is.