1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Bin File be burned on a DVD??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JennB213, Jun 9, 2007.

1. JennB213

JennB213 Member

I have tried all evening to burn a .BIN file onto a DVD+R ..
    It keeps telling me it has to be burned as a CDR ...

I'm perplexed *rippin hair* is bin not a format available for a DVD.

I've tried using both the Nero and Alcohol 120 programs .. Both are finding my Bin and Cue Files (I checked the path of the cue file with notepad and everything is okay there) but no dice burning as a DVD.

I finally put in a CD-R and burned the movie using each of the two programs just to see if it would work .. it burned fine as a CD using each of the Nero and Alcohol programs.

Here is my problem now ...
    The movie, on both copies of the CD+R, will play on my Computer FINE, both picture and sound.

But not on my Samsung DVD Player, which is CDR & RW compatible ...
    The picture is breaking up on the DVD Player and I have no sound, only a garbling in the background.

Can anybody help .... What am I doing wrong ???

Thanks in advance for ANY input.

Jenn

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

sounds like you have a problem with media or you burnt to fast also some standalond dvd players don't like vcd's you might try going to videohelp.com and type in your model number and see what type or brand of media that your player will or will not play.

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. JennB213

JennB213 Member

Good Morning,

I jumped online as soon as I could to see if someone helped me out .. so I really appreciate the two responses I found here.

Thank you RDMercer for your input on burning to fast, that is a possiblity because I got totally lost in trying to figure out what settings to choose in either of the Nero or Alcohol 120 programs.

Obviously I chose wrong because neither of the CD-R+ (1 burned using Nero and 1 burned using Alcohol 120) played correctly in my stand alone DVD player.

I don't understand all the video setting in either Nero or Alcohol 120 so maybe I chose a incorrect setting. But I did close out the Nero Wizard and went to Resources >> Burn Image and burned it that way.

My burner is a DVDRW-IDE 16X SCSI .. don't have a clue what all that means, just know I usually don't have any problems with it.

My stand alone Samsung DVD player which is fairly new says on the front of it that it also plays CDR & CDRW so I don't think it's my player.

Again, Thank you for your response.

Jenn

5. JennB213

JennB213 Member

Good Morning,

I jumped online as soon as I could to see if someone helped me out .. so I really appreciate the two responses I found here.

Thank you RDMercer for your input on burning to fast, that is a possiblity because I got totally lost in trying to figure out what settings to choose in either of the Nero or Alcohol 120 programs.

Obviously I chose wrong because neither of the CD-R+ (1 burned using Nero and 1 burned using Alcohol 120) played correctly in my stand alone DVD player.

I don't understand all the video setting in either Nero or Alcohol 120 so maybe I chose a incorrect setting. But I did close out the Nero Wizard and went to Resources >> Burn Image and burned it that way.

My burner is a DVDRW-IDE 16X SCSI .. don't have a clue what all that means, just know I usually don't have any problems with it.

My stand alone Samsung DVD player which is fairly new says on the front of it that it also plays CDR & CDRW so I don't think it's my player.

Again, Thank you for your response.

Jenn

6. JennB213

JennB213 Member

Good Morning IHoe,

Thank you for your reponse to me I actually read that thread last night before I posted anything. I'm new to Forums and tried to read as much as I could before I posted. Most of it I understood but some of it was totally Greek to me :).

That article/thread was VERY helpful. I think I might be doing something wrong within the Nero or Alcohol program settings.

I also read in this forum on how to burn using Alcohol and tried to follow those instructions since I'd never used Alcohol before.

Here is a brief summary of what I did. After I got the bin file loaded into Alcohol and the Image Burning Wizard open, here is where I got confused.

The Write Speed was set to Maximum since I assumed that to be the default I left the setting that way, (Upon looking at the information on the Drop Down Menu I see different speeds ranging as follows: 48X, 40X 32X, 24X, 16X, 10X, and last 4X)

The Write Method, default was on DAO/SAO (which means totally zero to me) but upon viewing the Drop Down Menu I also see RAW SAO, RAW SAO + SUB and RAW DAO. Now here I'm totally LOST, no clue what any of this means.

On the Database Setting I chose Video CD, there were about 20 different settings to choose from and I got really confused. In the tutorial I had read before whoever wrote it chose Playstation because they were burning a game and since I was trying to burn a movie I chose Video CD ...:)

I really learned a lot last night just reading different threads, this is a GREAT forum. The only reason I posted my question was because I thought with all the new stuff that comes out each year that maybe something new had transpired and it looked like the thread I was reading was fairly old. I was hoping that maybe there was a simple way to burn this to a DVD. After I played the CD+R's last night in my stand alone DVD player and it didn't have sound, it never occurred to me that I might have recorded using the incorrect speed. I was blaming it on being forced to record it as a CD+R instead of a DVD.

Hmmmmm, Wow, there is a lot to learn. Thought I was doing pretty good but it's not as easy as loading a bin file and burning, you have to understand all the program settings, which for a novice like me can be a real nightmare .. lolol

Thank you IHoe, I really appreciate the input and links. Even though I had read them earlier last night I went back today and re-read them again to see if I could understand anything I might have missed.

GREAT Forum, I appreciate the personal time you all devote to helping others.

Jenn