1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a burner scratch a DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by WelshBoa, Dec 3, 2004.

1. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but didnt know where else to put it.

I've burnt some DVD's and I always have a quick scan of the blank DVD to check it for dust/fingerprints etc.

The other day I burnt a DVD and when it came out it had minor scratches on it. Since then I have made a point of really checking my discs as I put them in as I thought I would have seen scratches like that.

Well today I put a disc in, burnt the back up and the scratch on it is well I dont know how to describe it, but if you bought the disc from HMV you would take it back!!!

This has happened to several different makes of disc, although the most recent one was a "cheapy for x-box back-ups".

Could it be the media? I personally doubt this myself. The burner is a Pioneer A06. Is there a cleaner out there for drives? I know you can get tools that "repair" scratches on discs but it seems the problem may be coming from the drive itself...??

I dont know - all replies gratefully welcomed!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If you are sure the burner is causing the scratches then there are 2 possible reasons.
    1. Something is loose or sticking up inside the drive causing the scratches.
    2. The cheap media has somewhat of a warp to it and is rubbing inside.
    I can't think of any other reason for the scratches.

Jerry

3. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

I think it must be a warp of some kind on the random discs as I have done a few audio cd's in the same burner tonight and there are no scratches etc.

Strange one though.....