1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a gameshark2 load up dvd back-up games?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by manifesto, Nov 7, 2003.

1. manifesto

manifesto Guest

ive never really made back up copies for dvd style games. ive only been succesfull with the cdrom style games. i know i need a dvd writer to burn dvd formated games. lets say i purchase a dvd burner. and make a succesfull dvd game copy. will i be able to load these dvd style games with the gameshark2? if not, than what will i need. because for now im getting the hang of burning cdrom games, but very soon im going to have to break the piggy bank and go cop that dvd burner. but before i do i just wanted to know if it would be a hassle loading them with the gameshark2. so far ive had no problem loading cdrom games with the shark.

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

What you will need is the swap magic discs you can purchase them off of www.ps2cover.com,and the gameshark you are talking about should have a disk for ps1 games use that for the ps1 games to boot them.You can use the gameshark for ps2 V1-6 any thing above that will not work,because of the double protection feature.Peace L-Burna

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

to load a cd backup with GS2 or AR2 do this

load up GS or AR wait till it boots then use the knife metod and replace the GS/AR cd with the backup go to start game w/o codes then start the game you will se it loads up and play notice this can be done w/o a chip

for loading dvd-r you need to do the next things

load GS2 wait till it boots up then eject the cd put in a dvd game it needs to be with a big TOC try gta3 dvd then let the ps2 spin the dvd and recugnise it then go to start game but w/o codes then when it asks you to put the game disk use the knife method on the dvd and replace it with your backup then press X see the game loads this can be done w/o a mod chip as well have fun now :p

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Cyprien I wouldn't keep doing what you are doing,because it will kill your dvd player.I have done this before and had my old ps2 go to shit on me.Yeah it is nice that the gameshark works when you do the method.I would just wait and use fliptop it is safe and doesn't force the system tray or damage anything.The Swap Magic V3 discs will be able to play gameshark so if I was you I would just wait.Peace L-Burna

5. manifesto

manifesto Guest

cyprien, so in order to load dvd games with the game shark you would actually need the original copy to be loaded first? and than put the back up dvd?.. so when ejecting the original copy you would press eject? what do you mean by a big TOC? YOU MEAN A DISK WITH ALOT OF GB ON IT? so afterall you would need the original copy to load a dvd game with the game shark. doing the process of cdrom games wont work? Lburna how much are these swap magic discs?

6. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The Swap Magic discs are $20 dollars for both discs the dvd disk and the cd disk.I use the Fliptop cover and have never had any problems with it.I can't use gameshark codes with it only because I have a V7 if you have a V1-V6 you can use gameshark codes.If you have a V7 or higher you can't.The new Swap Magic V3 discs will solve the problem when using gameshark.If you want to get the Swap Magic V3 discs get them here http://www.ps2cover.com the cd is done but the dvd is still in testing.When Cyprien said use a big TOC that means you have to use a original game that has a big TOC code etc...Socom or something like that.Peace L-Burna

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  7. manifesto

manifesto Guest

l burna thanks for the info. but what do you mean the dvd is still testing?.. and im just wondering by me buying the swap magic disc what would be the process of loading a dvd game?

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

If I knew what version of ps2 you had I could tell you what type of discs you would need.They have the V2 and V3 if you have a ps2 V7 or higher I would recommend getting Swap V3 if V6 or under I would say get Swap V2.The Swap Magic V3 dvd disk is still in testing mode which is not really bad news to hear because I would like to not have a messed up disk when I get it.The Swap Magic V2 discs are good they are already made those you can order.The process of loading a game for me I use the fliptop cover so all I do is put in Swap Magic Dvd disk if I am playing a dvd game or Swap Magic Cd disk if I am playing a cd game.Then I just wait for a screen to come up saying insert disk I open up my ps2 lid and put my back up in and press X and that is it depending on the games right now etc...Soul Calibur 2 you would either have to use a patch or a cd called cd loader only for some games very rare.You would have to get something to boot the games though something like fliptop,swapcard,or modchip something like that.The Swap Magic discs are just a step to getting them to boot.Peace L-Burna

9. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

no you dont need the original dvd to play the backup of it like put gta3 to play gta3 backup NO i didnt mean that all you need is a original big TOC dvd thats all... heres few games that can be used... gta3 DMC1 and DMC2 MGS MGS2 GTA Vice City Fifa2003 and fifa2004 they both have over 4GB... you can try those then swap them with the backup of a dvd game.. but keep in mind that i TOTALY agree with L-Burna here... DO NOT try this if you dont know what you doing... if the pin brakes then it's repair time... always remmber this method is used for people who cant afford a modchip... besides i dont want to see you stiking knifes into the ps2... you can actualy do the same with the fliptop thing... you do the same as i said before but you use the fliptop insted of the knife that way it's all safe :D.. AND boots all games ^_^ the knife method actualy works on all models from what iv seen the only thing i didnt see work is the DVDregionX 1.9 wich dosent work with V7 models other then that it's all good :p btw L-Burna im not doing that i got me a mars mod chip i only know few swap methods thats all :p

10. manifesto

manifesto Guest

thank you lburna and cyprien. now im totally convience that i can load up dvd games with the shark.i will definetly get a dvd writer this weekend. im ready ;> ok now that i got that off my chest. what dvd burner do you guys use? do higher the price is, the higher quality of a burner you get? cuz i really dont wanna spend no more than $100 dollars. i laugh when you guys mention the knive thing. i know it sounds funny but it works for me, and im very gentle with it. besides its a short-thin knive ive gotten good with it. the flip top version seems like a good idea. but than again i wanna get the dvd burner this weeked:). so before i leave the best buy or circuit city store. what type of dvd recordable disks should i get. ive heard that theres so much argument of wether to use dvd+r dvd+rw... dvd-r dvd-rw.. whats this all about? oh and just for the record i have a v5 model, looked up on easybuy2000 while checking for those magic disks, ive also so the magic 3.1 modchip for $19 dollars the catch is theres no wires included plus the hassle of finding someone to install it. but i was tempted. thanks for the post guys. you guys helped me out the most. im from miami. u.s.

11. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

well i can say get a pionner A05 ^_^ and i can help you with the install if you even need one but i take 130 for the install dependsing on what chip :p

12. manifesto

manifesto Guest

hey guys, im going to need help installing my dvd drive. any ideas where i can get that help over the net? or if any of you guys can help please let me know.

13. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

all you need is a ide cable and power v5 cable for pc and the dvd burner then only update the firmware of the drive and remove that pesky region code and make it into a rpc-1 region free drive and you all set ^_^

14. dam0083

dam0083 Guest

can i boot ps2 back-ups with a gameshark2 verison 3.

15. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Manifesto & dam0083, you need a GS version 1.9 OR 2.0. These are the only ones that will work (from my understanding and part experience).

16. manifesto

manifesto Guest

you are right, im having big problems trying to load up the games with gameshark2. i have a v5 ps2, so i guess thats the problem. besides i heard swap magic is an easy resolution. anybody give me some info on that

17. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

dam0083 the GS2 v3.00 dosent load backups... and the reason is pretty simple... you see the disk just keeps spinning... it wont stop then after trying to boot the game... it will eject the disk for you to put the game in... but we cant put a backup there.... simple cuz the ps2 aint moded yet so... NO v3.00 cant load backups no ps2 cd backup or dvd backup or ps1 backup... manifesto having a v5 got nothing to do with it... swap works with GS2 no mater the version of the ps2... what really counts is having a GS2 v2.xx or v1.xx... not 3.xx

18. Fearkid

Fearkid Member

Im gonna buy a mod chip from this guy and he said that I need a game shark to use the mod chip but he doesnt know the name of the mod chip. Does anybody know what kind of mod chip this is and if it works good?
    Thanks!

19. manifesto

manifesto Guest

so let me get this right cyprien, in order for me to load up dvd back up games with swap magic im still going to need the gameshark2? that sucks i tought that by inserting the dvd version of swap magic its all you needed to load the game up. so if i get the swap magic disk.. this is what ill have to do to load back up dvd games--> 1st, insert swap magic (dvd versio). 2. and than it'll ask for the game. 3. insert back-up, and than it should load right? why would i still need the gameshark2 for? fearkid if you have to buy the gameshark in order to load your games that sucks. the whole purpose of the chip is to eliminate that process and automaticly load up your ps2 back up games. if you have to buy the gameshark for your modchip in my opinion thats a piece of crap modship. theres alot more in the market .. look them up in the forum, ive heard the messiah chip is good. reply back cyprien or lburna on how will i go about loading up games if i would have the swap magic disks. because in really intrested in buying the disks, but before i would like some info on them. coming from people that have had already purchase them/

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Yeah the SM2 discs will boot up the dvd games without using Gameshark2.I thought you wanted to use codes with the games though.The SM2 Dvd version disc is pretty simple put in the disc wait for it to say "insert disc and press X".Now by using the swap trick/fliptop method swap the game with the SM2 disc.Now press X when the game is in and the lid or tray is pushed (swap trick) in or closed (fliptop)and it should boot up almost any game out except for a couple games wich can be booted by a burned cd called cdloader which is free.Peace L-Burna

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003