1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can A Modem Change My Connection Speed?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Cosmo1111, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Cosmo1111

Cosmo1111 Regular member

Is is possible for this to happen?

I was told that if I get a Router, it will make my connection speed faster. True?

I need to put the Broadband to another computer in my house. Do I need to get another modem or just chuck mine out and get a Router, then run the DSL wire to the other computer?

Heres one Im looking at:
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/425a38d307bc53d42740c0a87f9c06f3/Product/View/XH8164

This one here is cheaper and its Wireless, but does it mean that I wont need to run a wire to the other computer, but will I need to get a Reciever for the other computer or something and will it slow down the connection steed or make it faster?:
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/425a38d307bc53d42740c0a87f9c06f3/Product/View/XH6186

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  2. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

If your going to be connecting two (or more) comps together you need a router. Or a modem with multiple rj-45s so you can run the cat5 to each comp... A router is not designed to improve your connection speed... it is designed to "route" (obviously) data... Does the other comp have a NIC for broadband? Although I'm not familiar with DSL (to slow ;) I believe that you need to keep one modem for the DSL then hook your router up to it and well, start connecting comps!

DSL is still through the phone lines correct?

3. Cosmo1111

Cosmo1111 Regular member

Cool
    What do you have.
    Can anyone give me a list of the fastest internet and how fast it is.

4. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

Gigabit, My school (DeVry) has some serious internet going on and with the right NIC (and wireless card) you can get some incredible speeds... and if your a good little student (as I am ;) you can get them to increase the per user bandwidth for you...hehe.

as far as the list goes for super internet...there are so many, many variables...but you could start googling your bound to find something that your interested.