1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a ps2 fan short?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by syrez, Feb 23, 2004.

1. syrez

syrez Member

I got my ps2 modded properly and it does everything like it should but the fan wont turn on. The housing was borken because we couldnt get the fan out and the wire snapped so we just soldered the wires directing to plug. The fan worked fine for a month and after we fixed an installation error on the mod chip it hasnt worked since. Is it possible to short circut the fan?

2. syrez

syrez Member

And is there any alternative places to solder the fan wires too? Or anyway to check if its my mother board or the fan that has the problem? Plz help

3. dEsIbOi

dEsIbOi Member

umm i wouldnt want to mess with the motherboard and short circuit it. My fan broke, the little plug thing broke off, I didnt take any chances and got a new fan with my mod install
    I think its the safest way to go.
    To test if the fan is out, im not sure maybe someone else can help
    l8ez

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the fan cant brake down like that... thats for sure... a good way is to replace a fan... a bad way is to solder it to the base... well w/o the fan ps2 cant cool down and no theres no other places to add a fan...

5. convolute

convolute Regular member

I bought a used ps2 before which the fan had shorted somehow. Since I wasn't the original owner, I couldn't tell you how it happened, but it was definitely possible for the fan to short out. However, don't run the ps2 without the fan on as it will potentially damage it further through overheating. Also, when it gets too hot, the ps2 will shut itself off anyways.

6. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

Put a 'AA' battery to the fan leads - if it spins, it good - if it doesn't spin, it's bad.

Chances are it the connection. After Unplugging it multiple time, its going to get damaged at some point. I had the same issue one time and just solder the leads directly to the board, after removing the female lead casing from the board and male lead connector from the fan leads.