1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a ps3 play ps2 backups?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by ProBaller, Jan 23, 2007.

1. ProBaller

ProBaller Regular member

can a ps3 play ps2 backups?

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

3. sj512

sj512 Guest

4. thewaksta

thewaksta Member

I have a PS3 which wont play PS2 backups but I also have a PS2 which will. Surely this is the same for 99% of the poeple on this forum so why would you bother playing your PS2 backups on the PS3?

5. St3ck

St3ck Member

I have been wondering this myself. I have a PS2 with a bunch of games on a hard drive courtesy of HD loader. Anyone hear anything about putting a 3.5" HD in an enclosure, hooking it up via USB and playing the games with HD loader or something along those lines?

6. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That won't work, it's already been tried.

@sj512 : that link of yours doesn't prove anything, all i get is news about the new firmware.
    No hacks listed, no NOTHING.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Surely this link says it better than any words. http://www.ps3-hacks.com/ps3-hacks.php

nowt.. Not a sausage. The firmware update is to fix certain bugs and add a little missing functionality to what seems yet another incomplete product a.k.a Broken by Design

8. rdxtreme

rdxtreme Regular member

uh... yes. Its mad ghetto so slap yourself once for buying a ps3, slap yourself twice for making it play ps2 backups.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rdxtreme, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

10. mc22hc

mc22hc Regular member

Its 100% true that you can play ps2 backup games on the ps3 but the ps3 is crap at playing them, the ps3 has errors wid some ps2 games but they are brining out updates to fix the bugs, they have jagged edges i the ps2 games.

11. ProBaller

ProBaller Regular member

how bout the save files on the ps2 memory card, i have half beaten god of war, my ps2 is broken and i am bout to get a ps3, can i get the save file on my ps3? how?

12. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

Buy the memory card adapter for the PS3. It's $14.99.

13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ mc22hc.. some proof of that claim would be nice. How do you get around the printed game disk media check?
    I don't claim to know that much about the ps3 (more sony junk) but I do know if ps2 pirates could be played on a ps3 the details would be all over the hacking sites by now.
    All I can find is this really dodgy video that proves nothing http://www.siliconera.com/index.php/2007/01/17/playstation-3-modified-to-play-ps2-backups/
    By the time the european ones are released this will be worthless because it only works with the first firmware. The update kills it dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  14. zyw

zyw Regular member

ok so i did the usb flash drive exploit that works on the orginal ps3 hardware (just lucky i guess) and have had some success moving my iso files to the usbdrive using USBUtil ver 1.02 (English).
    (btw, the help tab in usbutil lists games that do and dont work, but not all games are listed obviously)

some games that ive had success with include:

RTX red rocks (iso from backup disk)
    Twisted metal black (iso from original disk)

What im wondering is if im wasting my time trying to load ps2 cd games. I convert my backups to iso form and have had no success except with one game that loads the EA front screen and freezes
    The iso files ive tried include:
    The Sims-black screen
    Warriors of Might and Magic:Quest for the Dragonbone Staff-ditto
    Themepark Rollercoaster-EA screen loads and game stops

If there is a list of games that do and dont work, please link the address. I may have just picked games that don't work, but 0 for 3 has me a little discouraged.

Thanks in advance for your help.