1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can A Second Hard drive Slow Down My PC?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by raceman94, Jun 10, 2007.

1. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

Hello folks. I have a question for you folks. I'm probalkly going insane, but i wanted to post my issue and get your opinion.

First of all, know this: My computer is working perfectly when I only have the C drive connected. The issue is that when I connect my second internal SATA drive, my PC freezes, the start menu freezes up, windows explorer freezes up. The bottom line is that PC just goes straight to hell when the second internal SATA harddrive is connected.

Could there be a virus or something hiding out in the second drive is slows down the PC when it is booted?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Im not sure if this is also an aspect in the SATA drives but have you switched your drive to the slave jumper and then gone into BIOS and seen if the second drive has come up as a slave.

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

No master/slave issues with SATA so no need to set jumpers, is C: SATA also? Flash the boards BIOS perhaps, at least see if the new drive is seen in the setup screen.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try turning the PC on with the drive immediately connected, does the program begin right from the start?

5. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

Both drives are SATA drives. In order for the drive to be recognized, it has to be connected when I boot the PC. My motherboard is not hot swappable with the SATA drives so I have have it plugged in when I boot the machine. This drive is certainly recognized on the boot screen. In fact, my machine is always trying to boot from this drive and not the C drive. Every time the drive is connected, I'm having to change the boot drive from the second hard drive to the original hard drive.

Guys, I thank your for your help. It's just so aggravating when technology doesn't work the way it should. If all else fails, I;m just gonna try a way to reformat it and start over. Some how I doubt that will help...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't know there were any motherboards you couldn't hot swap with. Which motherboard do you use? If you've removed a drive and used the PC then put it back, most BIOSes typically default to choosing the most recently added drive to run your Operating system off (a pain for those who just install an extra data hard disk!) Out of curiosity, have you tried using a different S-ATA cable and a different S-ATA port on the motherboard? (if you have any others)

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You said mobo sees the new drive but is your BIOS set to boot from the drive you want? Have you checked yet to see if your mobo has any updates like BIOS or drivers and the like?

8. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

I'll look in to those options and see what I can discover. The hard drive in question is definitely a newly added hard drive. As for the mobo type, I'll try to look and find that out. Thanks.

9. krongy

krongy Member

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

krongy, post padding? better not.

11. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

Okay guys, this is probally going to be the last post reguarding this topic, but I thoufght I'd post it so maybe you can drool over it.

I ran chkdsk (check disk) on the drive and it said that every partition was unreadable. The exact same thing happened on the drive that is now my C drive; however, I was able to reinstall windows and my problems ended with that disk.

Now back to the disk in question. When I tried to go an reinstall Windows on it the following error message came up: "System Restore: Cannon create user partition! System restore cannot contunie!"

So I am just going to assume that this hard drive is pretty much shot and no longer any good. There isn't nay info on it; if I can salvage it it would make a great downloading drive.

Thanks!

12. ddp

go ahead & delete it's partition(s) & reformat it.

13. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

Yes, and that is exactly what I am thinking. However, is there a way to reformat the drive without booting windows? Can it be reformatted form the boot menu? If you recall for the previous posts, every time I hook the drive up to the machine it slows to a crawl. I don't have a SATA enclosure so what are my options.

14. ddp

do you have a floppy drive & a win98 bootdisk or can get a copy of that?

15. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

I have a CDROM Drive and the Windows XP re installation disk. I found a program I am going to run and see what happens. And I shall keep ya'll posted.

16. Galvatr0n

Galvatr0n Member

yeah, i was going to mention the possibility of the hard drive being shot (the second one). Mainly because ive had that issue before, I knowingly put a bad hardrive into an old computer just to see what happends and what i heard was clicking, sometimes scratching when i started up the computer. The boot up times were horribly slow, and windows itself was hell. Im not sure if you heard any of this with yours, but if not, then you could probably reformat like you did with your c drive. There is a way you can reformat it without loading windows.
    Did your Second Hardrive come with a Install/formatting Cd when you bought it? If so you can boot the computer with that cd and format it there without going into windows. Just make sure you specify which one you want done if the option exists so it doesnt reformat both. To be on the safe side i would just disconnect the C drive completely. hope this helped.

17. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

I gave those ideas a try, but now the hard drive is completely dead. Not only is it not clicking, but apparently it isn't spinning either. From what I can see, it is dead as a stump because when I got to the BIOS menu, it doesn't even recognize the hard drive. It still has a warranty so I'm just gonna have it replaced.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah that's definitely a dead hard disk.

19. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

You know...I'm definitely headed straight toward setting a record in the category of busted up hard drives. LOL.