1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can an NTSC console play PAL games?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by discoboy, Apr 25, 2007.

1. discoboy

discoboy Member

I have a modded US NTSC model and it can play backup NTSC games fine however it has never been able to read PAL disks. A friend of mine has a modded console too but his is able to read both. Is that because we have different mod chips?

2. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

which modchip do you have?? if you have a wiikey then run the setup disc v1.2 first then enable region override. if you have a WiiD just update your chip firmware.

3. discoboy

discoboy Member

I got mine done in a shop. I just rang him and am told that it is a Wiikey mod. I didn't get a CD. He says that, in general, the mod will not allow the console to play PAL disks.

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can go to the link below and download the setup disc get the latest version 1.2 and extract the file and read the (READ ME) file and follow the directions on how to make the ISO to burn and update your Wiikey. Then to play PAL games you will need to turn on the Region override option...

http://www.wiikey.cn/resources.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  5. discoboy

discoboy Member

In the event that the guy at the shop gave me false information and that the mod is not Wiikey what risk is there in damaging my console if I try to upgrade the firmware?

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

That I would not know.

Most run in stealth mode so I duno how you would know for sure that is the chip they installed.

I would assume the only damage a flash to the chip would do is to the Modchip itself and not the Wii system.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  7. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

if you try running the wiikey setup disc nothing would happen because it is not really a firmware update but just a disc for you to setup the wiikey like turning the region override on/off. however if you run a chip firmware update of another chip then i dont know what will happen.. just try running the setup disc and if it runs then your lucky to get a wiikey installed in your system.

8. discoboy

discoboy Member

That's right I have just read that the setup disk modifies the data held in the EPROM. However, would it ask me before proceeding?

9. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

yeah. its up to you to what settings you want to put

10. Syko360

Syko360 Member

I have tried one PAL game(Warioware) with my Wiikey/NTSC-U system and after the splash screen it just went to a black screen. All my NTSC-U backups play as good as the originals though.

11. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

12. Syko360

Syko360 Member

Thanks for that list ghostboy6 it will be very helpful as I am currently downloading my backups till I get an LG drive. Unfortunately I didn't realize it was the PAL version until after I downloaded it. Then I figured I might as well try and see if it works. For sure gonna double check the .NFO files before downloading now!! Of course I just need to get the LG drive and save the hassle ;)