1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can an old laser (V2 PS2) affect its ability to read DVD-Rs?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dabbler77, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

Yup, checked back with the guy who installed my modchip (turns out it was magic 3.1) and they told me it was because of a weak laser that my DVD-R backups won't work.

All of my games (DVD original, CD original, CD backups, DVD-R movies) works fine so I find it hard to believe that it won't even boot-up a DVD-R backup. The DVD-R messing up is understandable but not even booting up?

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

as long as you are using dvd-r and not +r, it should work. Did you try playing a dvd-r movie? They probably screwed up the installation.

3. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

I think they did mess up the install. All of my CD-R backups (that's both PS1 and PS2 games) freezes after a certain point (usually around an hour or two) and then the disc won't reject (eject light flashes but disc won't come out).

I told the guys about it and they're checking it out. If that doesn't work then I'm just going to try adjusting the Laser Azimuth.

By the way, I did try playing my DVD-R movies. They work fine on the PS2, sometimes even better than the original (ie. no scratches).

4. WEStar

WEStar Active member

sounds to me like bad install. also, you don't need a mod to play dvd-r movies so having your dvd-r movies play doesn't prove that the mod works it only proves that the ps2 reads dvd-r media. Only other thing I can think of is bad burns but, since you're having problems with the cd games then it's probably the install.