1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any software copy a scratched dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by FBlack, Apr 17, 2007.

1. FBlack

FBlack Member

I tried to copy an older scratched DVD. I tried Shrink, Anydvd ripper, DVDFab and Decrypter. Even setting Decrypter to Ignore Read errors, no program would work. Anyone have any ideas? I have no trouble copying any clean dvd, but one with scratches is a problem.

2. killer713

killer713 Member

I would really only do this in a throw away dvd reader, but take a light coating of vegetable oil and wipe it on the disc. You don't want to have any that flings off the disc as it is spinning. But this would be good for one copy. As long as there are not any scratches on the paint side, you should be good. If you can locate some DVD or CD laquer that would be better to use.

3. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Purchased CD Scratch Repair at Hastings. Cost $10. They also have
    similar things at Walmart. I've had really good luck using those
    on a scratched disc. You also can purchase a simple little gadget
    to polish the discs with.
    Really don't think putting vegetable oil in your burner is a good
    idea. Even greasy fingerprints cause problems with burners. That
    would probably do major damage to your lens.
    Also Hastings now has a machine where they will polish a disc for
    you. Cost $2.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Resurfacing/Polishing tools are the best way to attack the problem. I've got one I use for a lot of used DVDs I buy. If the scratch is too deep, nothing will help, especially if it has damaged the inner dye layer. Lense repair solution or CD/DVD repair soltions work as well. It's all a matter of optics. The laser has to read through the outer polycarbonate layer to read the microscopic peaks and valleys on the inner dye layer. Scratches or anything else that affects the read can cause a failure. Success is a matter of affecting a repair so the laser can read the data pressed or burned on the inner dye layer.

5. jjsdaddy

jjsdaddy Member

The method I have used is pretty simple. I spray some furniture polish(prefferably one that contains wax) onto the dvd, let it dry, and then buff it clean with a microfiber towel. It does not eleiminate the scratches, but it has enabled me to get decrypter to read the disc and get a good copy made.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It cleaned out the scratch and polished the polycarbonate surface enough so the laser could read through it. That's what it's all about, giving the laser a shot at reading the ridges and valleys in the dye. Another method is using car polish. Apply, let it dry, and buff the disc with a soft cloth. That will actually remove a few of the superficial scratches and polish the surface.

7. res2cue

res2cue Guest

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I think I saw that one too. It was used like a paste wax, applied, allowed to dry and buffed off to polish.

9. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

I have used oil from my finger tip to rub over scratch and it works.

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

In addition to what the other Members said ! You Can also Use Brasso ( Metal Polish ) It's Cheap But It works !! I rescued a Copy of 28 Days later ! from the Local Blockbuster Dumpster & It was Scratched to the point of Skipping & jumping ( They were mainly Light scratches but there were many many of them Using The brasso Polish & a Soft Cloth I managed to Polish the Dvd enough were it Could be played & backed up ! ! It took awhile but it worked! But if you can find a place that Resufaces/polishes DVD's CD's Games Ect! I would favor going that route instead! Especially if it's Only a few dollars ! My grandson 's PS2 GTA San Andreas game was Scratched to unplayability -But we took it to a Game store & they Resurfaced it for $3.00 US It looked Brand new & played Fine after that ! If You cannot find a Local Videostore/Video Game shop that does this There is a Company Called Rubberdisc,com that Does this by mail They are little pricey compared to some shops but if they cannot repair your disc there is no charge & they will send you the mailer for free? _ If you have multiple disc to be repaired They are cheaper the more disc you have them do! But in the end you have to decide what best suits your needs in this area? Ciao!

11. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

@BIGTOXY69

Bigtoxy69 "dumpster diving" in Baton Rouge. Now that would be a picture to see......LOL

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

My luck there'd be a gator in the dumpster.

Here's the new model of the resufacing tool I own.

[​IMG]

Here's what the old one I own looks like. It's more than paid for itself.

[​IMG]