1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone compare install of PS2 to xbox.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by maxcrazy2, Jun 28, 2003.

1. maxcrazy2

maxcrazy2 Member

Hello everyone.
    Iam new to this forum and after lurking a day or two think I will spend a lot of time here.

My Question is can anyone that has installed any xbox chip compare to the install of Magic 3.1. Size of solder points ect.
    I have chiped my xbox and 30+ psx But have nerver had a ps2 apart, and a buddy of mine that got me into doing playstation mods will not tuch a ps2.

Thanks for any help.

2. Pukerat

Pukerat Member

I think it depends on the version of PS2 you have. I have a v7 and the soldering was about same level of difficulty as the Xbox. I didn't have to solder to any surface mount leads (using the clip). However, If you look at some of the other version like v3 or v4, it looks much harder._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Xbox - Xecutor 2.1 Lite
    PS2 - Magic 3.6[/small]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  3. maxcrazy2

maxcrazy2 Member

Thanks I have a V6.

4. psx245

psx245 Regular member

i thought the magic 3.6 had 7-9 wires to solder

5. Pukerat

Pukerat Member

The number of points to solder is deceptive. The xbox was like 9 pins on an IDC header, which is trivial, and the 'D0' clear-coated via, which is a moderately difficult. Toughest part is getting the solder to stick to the via.

On the ps2 it was 9 wires, all to either small solder pads on the motherboard, or to surface mount discrete components (all medium difficulty) But not mentioned are the 5ish solder connections you need to make on the L-shaped PCB to the backside of your PS2 motherboard (also medium difficulty) that makes 14ish solder connections that are more difficult than the xbox's IDC header, but easier than the xbox's D0 connection.

If I would have had to solder the surface mount leads on the large chips, because of the bridging risk, I would considered that high difficulty. But thankfully I did not have to with a version 7.

6. maxcrazy2

maxcrazy2 Member

Thanks for your input. My xbox chip is an old 29 wire chip. That was a pain to put in. but I did it so I think I will do my ps2._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Hack everything[/small]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  7. psx245

psx245 Regular member

well good luck!!! don't screw up though!!!!!!!

8. SevenOTwo

SevenOTwo Member

unless u feel underconfident, i can stap in and do it for you