1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone confirm, what I have read??

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Shredder7, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Shredder7

Shredder7 Member

Hello guys,

I discovered this forum a few days ago, and ever since then I have been reading it, with avid interest. I think I'm going to start backing up my games, but before I do that, can someone read this post in order of things, and confirm/correct what I understand? I would deeply appreciate it!

Step 1: Modded PS2.

For this step, I'm strongly thinking of going with the Swap Magic, the latest version, and not the internal mod-chip. So, please answer these questions:

A. Swapping games all the time doesn't ruin the PS2 in anyway, does it?

B. How long does it take for the games to load once the game is swapped?

C. Which PS2 is recommended for the optimal outcome from this method? The PS2 or the PSTwo(the thin one)? I heard the memory card exploit doesn't work on the thin one, can anyone explain to me, what that exploit does? Also, ARE ALL THE GAMES COMPATIABLE WITH NEW PS2? That is all the backups? I mean Sony didn't increase security on it, did it?

Step 2: Copying Games

A. DVD-to-Image-DVD-R Copy: For this method, is it true that we can take ANY game of ours, using the DVD Decryptor make an image/iso, and then burn it to a DVD-R and the game would work, generally, without a hitch? Please list exceptions.

B. PS2 CD Games: This I'm not sure about. How are these games to be burnt? Are they burnt of CD-Rs or DVD-Rs? In any case, how do I burn them? Are they possible to copy as in Disc-to-Disc or Disc-ISO-Disc-R? Again, please list any exceptions.

C. Downloaded Games: I think these are usually in form of .RAR. Could anyone refer me to a guide to burn these? Including the ones burned of CDs and DVDs? Thank you.

D. Patched Games: This is where I get confused mostly. Basically, I think only the online games are to be patched, right? If so, how and why is it? In addition, what other games need patches and how are they applied?

Step 3: Playing PSX(one) games on PS2, of course the backups: Are these simply played with the other disc that comes with the SwapMagic? If otherwise, can you guys tell me how?

Finally, guys I realize that it is a HUGE post. So I don't expect a reply for every question, but please help me out here. At the very least, refer me to a post or a tutorial on the topics that you are not answering. I would be EXTREMELY grateful. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING, PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

2. hursty

hursty Active member

go for a fat ps2,load times generally the same,yes dvd decrypter works fine,and its free,downloaded game files just need to be extracted,like you said,with winrar,or winzip,depending on file,installed on pc,then burned."patching"is basically,cracking games so they work better.you need to download patch software and apply,you gat 2 disca with swap magic,1 for dvd based games,1 for cdr based games.

3. Shredder7

Shredder7 Member

Hey thanks for replying, Rusty(if I may?). I think I'm going to need more of your help on deciding, what kind of mod-chip would need to play my backups. The thing is, the more I read about these things, the more confused I become. Basically, I'm sure about going for no solder solution. This leaves me with the SwapMagic system. Since, its going to be hard finding the fat PS2 now, at least a reliable one, since God knows what kind of used stuff I get if I get it off Ebay. So basically, can you elaborate on the OPTIMAL non soldering backup solution for me?

I read about the Slide Card, I think if I get the new PS2, then getting that would be useless, as it comes with a fliptop. So I think I'm going to have to get a custom flip top, right? If so, if I install the flip top, would it void it warranty? Even if it does, what kind of reliability do you think I will get having a SwapMagic 3.3 with flip top, that what kind of problems could i run into, in terms of backup compatibility?

I know I'm asking too much, but please help me out, I will deeply appreciate it. Thanks to you and everyone else who helps!

4. hursty

hursty Active member

non solder mods are not as reliable as say,the matrix infinity,messaih chips,my advice would be to search hard for a fat ps2.check out these sites for more info on the limitations of fliptops www.techwizad.com www.swapmagic3.com p.s with using the swapmagic,certain games need "a fix" check this site for more details. wwwswapmagicfix.com

5. Shredder7

Shredder7 Member

Thank you for your reply again, Rusty. What do you mean they are not as reliable as they say? What kind of flaws could occur with the use of these methods, other than patching some games?

All the sites that I have been to, don't answer all the questions I have, and in some cases they leave me with more questions. So basically, if not too much trouble, can you list the ways that I can mod my PS2 the fat one and the slim one, without voiding my warranty, using the Swap method? Possibly, the one with the least chance of me ruining my PS2? I would very much appreciate it man. Thank you for reading again!

6. hursty

hursty Active member

the best to mod ps2 without chipping ps2,is like you say,using swapmagic,but if go you through the forums you will find people who use them encounter problems with certain games,these games can be fixed and patched like you say...my brother has one,and he has had problems getting certain games to work,san andreas being one of them.certain games need cd/dvd loader in order to get them to load,as well as the boot disc.my advice would be not to worry about the warranty,stick a soldered mod chip in.suppose it depends on your financial restrictions,my ps2 uses "messiah chip" i have never had any problems,and if i did i would simply go and buy another ps2,for what they cost these days.

7. Shredder7

Shredder7 Member

I hear what you are saying bro! Thanks for your response.

8. Jeff11103

Jeff11103 Member

I have recently started making backups and have had many of the same questions as you have had.

For making backups DVD Decryptor is definately the way to go. It's easy to use and it's free!!!

For playing backup I went with a no solder modchip (I have a V4 PS2) with the Swap Magic 3.3 disks.

This method of playing backups has worked great for me. The only thing I am worried about is that I've read that using a no solder chip can blow a fuze in your PS2 after 1-3 months. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I ordered a flip top for my nephew with the Swap Magic 3.3 disks. He has a V9 PS2. He has yet to get them, but I'm confident that when he does it will work well for him.

As for the fixes for games listed as swapmagicfix.com. My experience is that all those fixes are for versions of Swap Magic older than 3.3. I have backed up and played Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, and Star Wars: Battlefront without using the fixes.

F.Y.I. I don't think you can use Swap Magic (any version) to play backups of PS2 CD games with the black bottom. But I'm not sure about that.

9. Jeff11103

Jeff11103 Member

Correction....the F.Y.I...those are PS1 CD games that have a black underside.

And I just checked out swapmagic3.com and it says there that it does not play any PS1 backups.