1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can anyone help me?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by kaye4311, Dec 13, 2004.

1. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

I have turned on my computer today and a window has appeared titled : 16 Bit Windows Subsystem

The message within this window states,"C:\WINDOWS|SYSTEM32|AUTOEXEC.NT.
    The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application."

Can anyone please tell me how I stop this message from appearing on my desk top every time I start my computer?
    I am still quite naive with my computer, so I would appreciate someone being gentle with me and giving me simple and easy to follow instructions.I restored my computer to an earlier date that this was not happening but it has made no difference.
    Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Kaye4311.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

Thanks DDP.

I viewed the thread and this is what I did, unfortunately after restarting my computer the same message appeared.

I clicked on start, then on run....It brought up a black box saying c:\Documents and settings\username\

I placed the windows xp disc in to my cd rom, which is drive F.

I then typed in expand F:\i386config.nt_c:windows\system32\config.nt and pressed enter.

expand F:\i386\autoexec.nt_c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt and then pressed enter.

expand F:\i386\command.co_c:\windows\system32\command.com and then pressed enter and exit. Then I restarted my computer, I logged on and once the desk top appeared the original error message appeared again.

Have I done something wrong?

4. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

I have also deleted all cookies and temp internet files. I have done a full scan on my computer for viruses and that was ok. I have also insalled a spysweeper and cleared all add ware and spy ware, aswell as restoring my computer to a date that this message was not appearing.

I'd really appreciate some more help.

Thanks.

5. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

I'm here again and the error message has now gone.
    I went in to c:\windows\repair and copied autoexec file and pasted it in c:\windows\system32 and touch wood after restarting the computer this message no longer appears.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and informing me of the link, it was extremely helpful, thank you!

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sorry for getting back so late but was in toronto to get laptop for barrie's police chief's wife for christmas, ran into problems so have to go back tomorrow but at least your problem is solved. happy computing

7. kaye4311

kaye4311 Member

ddp
    That's quite ok. I really appreciated you posting that link, without that I wouldn't be sorted now.
    I am in England so that explains the difference in the time when I've posted my threads.
    Thanks
    Kaye.