1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help with this?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bw8755, Feb 8, 2003.

1. bw8755

bw8755 Member

I am trying to see if it's possible to rip several movies, take out specific scenes/chapters from them and mix them into 1 DVD. The purpose is to create a good DVD for home theater demonstration. I need it to be in DVD quality (audio/video with Dolby/DTS in tact).
    I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time and can't find anything. If you culd tell me what to use and how or direct me to somewhere else that would have this info, ,please let me know.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. thingimij

thingimij Guest

just read your post and thought i would have a quick go.
    it is possible, i used.

dvddecrypter to get the single vobs which contained the parts i wanted.
    dvd2avi to find the part of the vob i wanted.
    vstrip to take out that part of the vob.
    once i had three small vobs i renamed them
    VTS_01_1 TO VTS_01_3 and used ifoedit to create ifos.
    because they where all small vobs i used dvd2one and when when it finished the process all the small vobs where made into one.

have you got these programs, if so and you need help on the steps, give me a shout.

thingimijig.

3. bw8755

bw8755 Member

Thingimij, Thanks for your reply.

I have all of the programs except for DVD2ONE. What does this program do? I have used DVDDecrypter to get the chapters from the different movies I want. Now a couple things.

If I only want to take the chapters as they are and compile them, do I need to use the DVD2avi, vstrip or the ifoedit steps? DVDDecrypter created VOB and IFO files for each chapter scene I ripped. What would I have to do to compile them as they are?

Second, if I wanted to trim down the chapters into more specific scenes, I'm guessing I need to follow your step-by-step directions you gave. A few questions: With dvd2avi I see it has basically a trimmer for creating start/stop points. Other than that, what else does it do? If I save the project, does it save it only as the trimmed section? And if so, what do I need to use the vstrip for? Also does using dvd2avi downgrade the quality of the files or does it remain true DVD quality?

ALso, if you can give me instructions for using vstrip, as it doesn't come with a Read me file.

Any link on where to find DVD2One or other program which would do the same would be appreciated.

Oh BTW, after burning the new DVD, will there be any problems playing on set-top player or will it just start playing from start of file/s?

Also is there a way so that htese scenes will still have chapter functionality? This would be real helpful.

I appreciate your help with this project. Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to this. My prior experience has been using DVDXCopy only, so far.

Thanks again.

bw8755

4. thingimij

thingimij Guest

because you are looking to have chapter points at your discretion it would be better to use maestro to author your project.

first rip the vobs with parts of the film you want.

use dvd2avi to open the vob, now when you have picked the exact part with the [ and ] keys go to file and save project, when its finished you will have a ( ac3 audio file) and a (d2v file). open your d2v file in notepad and you will find about 10 lines down ( location ), at the side of that is 2 numbers(may include letters), this is the start and stop of the part of the vob so jot these numbers down (dont need the first noughts).

open windows calculater in scietific mode and tick HEX, type in your start number including the letters then tick DEC, this will change to a decimal number, jot it down then do the same for the stop number.

open vstrip and press the input tab, press ADD and import the vob you have just looked at in dvd2avi. now where it says START LBA type in the start number you jotted down and in END LBA the stop number, now press the output tab and where it says output name type whatever you want then press run. once its finished you will have to rename the file to a .vob file.
    this will then be a perfect vob of what you wanted.

this point you need VOBEDIT to create a m2v video file, open vobedit and press open and find your new vob, then press demux and select MPEG STREAM then press ok and save to a folder, once its finished rename the file to ( 1 ) then go and find the ac3 file dvd2avi created and put it in the same folder as the m2v file and rename that to ( 1 ).

it sounds a lot to do but its quicker than you think.

do this for each part you need but remembering to name the next set of files ( 2 ) and so on.

save me typing all about meastro i will ask do you have it, if so just import everything and put all the video files on the same timeline in order of how you want them then right click on the audio stream and select sync audio, this will automatically pick up the files and make one complete audio file keeping everything in sync.
    then select your first play or make your own menu and compile.

then enjoy a perfect dvd quality compilation.

let me know any problems you encounter.

thingimijig.

5. bw8755

bw8755 Member

Thanks Thingimij.

I don't have Maestro, but I do have Arcsoft Showbiz (came with burner), would this work in it's place? Is Maestro better, if so where can I find it?

I'm gonna give the first part a try and see what i can come up with. Thanks again for all your help.

bw8755

6. bw8755

bw8755 Member

OK,a couple of things. First I was mistaken on the Arcsoft program. The authoring prog that came with burner is Sonic My DVD. Would this work?

Second, I have done the DVDecryptor and created the VOB files. But alas I ran into a problem: Some (about half) came out just fine. The other half however came out with a jumpy video( video slows down then speeds up). I have tried re-decrypting them but same results. So I switched to SmartRipper and still had same problems (The movie I've been testing with is a scene from Black Hawk Down). I've tries with and without doing Stream Procecssing but nothing different happens. Any ideas?

Other than this, everything else is going just fine. Thanks again for your help.

bw8755