1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME??

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by digbyjoe, Feb 16, 2005.

1. digbyjoe

digbyjoe Member

I have just moved to canada from the Uk, I bought a New DVD player for my house Region 1, however I have hundreds of DVDs from the Uk and I cant play them!!! Does anyone know how I can decode my canada machine to play region 2 dvds as well as region 1? is this possible? would appreciate any help in this matter.

if you are responding could you please e mail me at;

noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

please pay attention to the forum rules and remove your email link from your post. Also this would have been better suited in the DVD Players section.

about your DVDs, you have two options: return your DVD player, and get a multi-region DVD player, which aren't that expensive. Or, if you have a DVD Burner on your computer you can back them up to DVD-R using DVD Shrink, with which you can play in any region. But since you have hundreds, thats probably not a good option. As far as I know you can't recode a region 1 player to play other regions. If it is possible, it probably depends on the make and model. But if its a new player you just bought, I'd return it and search online for a multi-region player.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved to appropriate forum.

Yes, do have a look at the forum rules ;)

4. digbyjoe

digbyjoe Member

I apologise for breaking your rules , this was unintentional, I only joined yesterday Will try not to do that again Thanks for advice

5. bigapples

bigapples Member

With "DVD Region Free" (http://topvideopro.com/other/dvd-region-free-css-player/dvd-region-free-css-free.htm) and your DVD player, you can play any Region DVDs. "DVD Region Free" will work automatically in the background after being installed. It is very easy to use.

Another, with "DVD X Player", you can play all region DVDs without needing other DVD Players (such as PowerDVD, WinDVD). You can visit http://topvideopro.com/other/dvd-region-free-css-player/all-region-free-dvd-player.htm for more infomation.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

that is for computers, not stand alone DVD Players

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

8. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

digbyjoe,

Revealing the make and model of your DVD player would be a big help.

Some questions:

Did you use PAL equipment in the UK? I'll have to ass|u|me that the Region 2 discs are in the PAL standard. Did you bring said equipment, i.e. TV, with you? Is your TV multi-standard: able to display NTSC and PAL?

If I'm not mistaken, Canada uses the NTSC standard (help me out if I'm incorrect).

With the make and model of your player, it can be determined if it can handle PAL/NTSC conversion or not. If it can't, there is no need trying to find a firmware hack to make it region free. In that case, you can do what bigapple suggests which will cost you but if your player can't do PAL/NTSC conversion on its own then your looking at the cost of an additional Region Free or Multi-Region player anyway.

NOTE TO ALL: when posting, focusing on the problem/issue is good but don't forget major things like:
    1. Make
    2. Model
    3. Configuration/System Setup
    4. Any relevant information possible (even if you don't know if it is relevant or not)

Thank you.