1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone suggest a really good Tag editor?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Doc409, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I've used Tag & Rename to edit my MP3's, but some fields allow limited info. I'm looking for a really good, simple tag editor to clean up my downloaded MP3 files. Any suggestions?

2. John375

John375 Guest

I never could make Tag & Rename work well, probably because of my ignorance.....I just use WinAmp and do them one by one.....But the best file renaming software is THE RENAME..... It will do Mp3 tags along with all else

3. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Thanx. I downloaded The Rename from download.com.. 'Will give it a try.

You mentioned Winamp. I could be wrong here, because the Winamp specs aren't clear, but . . . I know that Winamp will let you change the name within the playlist, but I don't think it makes a permanent change in the actual MP3 tag. What this means is that if you copied the files to CD, and wanted to load them on another computer, they would go back to their original name that you edited (you might give this a try on a friends computer). I had this happen with another MP3 player - it developed a software glitch, so I un-installed the player, and then reinstalled it. I then found that all my MP3 file names had gone back to their original names!!! There were about 2500 of them, and I had invested a lot of time/work thinking I was making permanent changes. I'm half-way through with Tag & Rename, don't like it, and now you see me looking for something else.

4. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Thanx. I downloaded The Rename from download.com.. 'Will give it a try.

You mentioned Winamp. I could be wrong here, because the Winamp specs aren't clear, but . . . I know that Winamp will let you change the name within the playlist, but I don't think it makes a permanent change in the actual MP3 tag. What this means is that if you copied the files to CD, and wanted to load them on another computer, they would go back to their original name that you edited (you might give this a try on a friends computer). I had this happen with another MP3 player - it developed a software glitch, so I un-installed the player, and then reinstalled it. I then found that all my MP3 file names had gone back to their original names!!! There were about 2500 of them, and I had invested a lot of time/work thinking I was making permanent changes. I'm half-way through with Tag & Rename, don't like it, and now you see me looking for something else.

5. BigD25

BigD25 Member

Winamp 3 seems to edit id3 v1 and v2 tags. And very nicely I might add. just finished editing a series of mp3s and it was quick and painless. I tried Tag & Rename; seemed to complicated to learn for just typing in tag names. I also tried, I think it was, MP3 info which integrates into Windows to give you another properties page with MP3 tag info and editing cababilies. That one I liked better but didnt seem to work all the time when I saved changes after editing a tag, but then again so did WInamp 3. It seems like there is sometimes a problem rewriting the tag info and saving back into an existing file. Hope this helps and let us know if anyone finds a better editing program!

6. dagremlin

dagremlin Member

I have used musicmatch 7.5 for "super tagging"
    It can batch search for tag..including album art and then rename files to your preferences.
    Works Great I just finished 2000+ Mp3's

7. zwolf

zwolf Member

8. John375

John375 Guest