1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can DMA/PIO settings or flashing drive mess up writing dvds?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jme1, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jme1

jme1 Member

While using either DVDx Copy Xpress OR DVD decrypter with DVD Shrink, the disk has serious errors, shows a really long time to completion and basically doesn't finish writing. I have NO problems reading the disks with either program, just burning. I recently flashed my Mitsumi DW7801-TE to upgrade to the new 8x speed disks (even though I was having no problems...may have been stupid who knows). Also I think maybe a driver has been changed from PIO to DMA though I don't know if this would make a difference. I also deleted my Mitsumi drive and reloaded it to try to revert back to the previous version but when I reloaded the drive it showed it as still the updated version. So basically
    1. Can DMA/PIO settings possibly mess up your ability to write disks and if so what should they be set on for secondary and primary.
    2. Can flashing mess up writing ability (wouldn't think so) and how can I undo the flash to make sure this isn't the problem.
    Please help, thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you flashed your drive with a hacked firmware this could be your problem. This drive wasent designed to write at x8 speed. Here is a link to the Firmware for that drive from the manufacturer http://www.mitsumi.com/enduser/1_drivers.html#DVD+RW
    I would run that firmware and hope it reads over the one you installed. It dosent state anywhere on there site that this drive can write at faster than x4. I would never use a hacked firmware because of this reason you never know what you are going to do to your drive. The best bet is to stick with the firmware from the manufacturer.
    The DMA issue try uninstalling all of your IDE channels and restart your computer. This should put everything back to DMA for you. http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/DMA.html

Good luck :)

3. jme1

jme1 Member

just making sure, I can uninstall the IDE channels and when I reboot they will be back? thanks again, been busy a few days but hope you can still respond, THANKS

also, the update shouldn't have been corrupted becuase I did get it off the official website, though I am going to download it again and see if anything changes

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes windows will re-install your IDE drivers automatically.

5. jme1

jme1 Member

I burned both The Italian Job and the Bourne Supremacy using Xcopy and it worked fine. But when I tried to make one more copy of The Bourne Supremacy I started getting the same "error occured writind dvd." Also, DVD decrypter has no problem decrypting the dvd but dvd shrink locks up my computer when it tries to run. Because this worked a few times and then suddenly stopped I don't think it has anything to do with the software really, though maybe some more aggressive settings would work. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Sounds like your computer went back to PIO mpde again check it out.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Firmware flashing some drives will set the IDE channel to PIO automatically. Also too many CRC errors will set it to PIO. The new encryptions actually cause crc errors, so if it happens enough you go back to PIO mode.

Jerry

8. lhunter

lhunter Member

I am having a similar problem. My burn speeds are 45 min and the actual write rate seems to be 1.1x. I have a LiteOn 1633S

I double checked the cables on the back of the drives and everything seems to be set properly...master/slave. Then I read this thread and noticed that on my Primary drive device 0 is set current transfer mode = DMA, but device 1 is set current transfer mode = PIO.

When I unistall and reboot it come back the same.

Is this my problem ... how can I fix it? I appreciate your help.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

This is an old thread, the answer to our friend's question was handles via a PM

Cheers all,

Pete