1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can dolby 5.1 be upgrated to 6.1???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by morronga6, Feb 20, 2007.

1. morronga6

morronga6 Member

i recently bought a IS-HC040917 INSIGNIA 6.1 600-watt HOME THEATER RECEIVER which is pretty decent nothing out of this world but it does support dolby ex(6.1) or DTS-ES(6.1) what i did not notice is that it still uses prologic II not prologic iix. in other words it will only play the 6 channels if the dvd is dolby ex(6.1) or DTS-ES(6.1) or the new THX after starwars epesode 1.... My question is the following is there a specefic solfware that is able to covert regular dolby 5.1 to 6.1??? I think "PowerDVD Deluxe" might play it in that mode but i dont think it lets you record it like that to play in a regular dvd player.(my comp is not conected to the receiver) any help is apreciated thanks... i am getting tired of trying to google this..

2. JVC

JVC Active member

I don't really understand what you're asking.
    Pro Logic IIx will take a stereo signal, and matrix it into a 7.1 playback. Regular Pro Logic II should take a stereo signal, and matrix it to a 6.1 playback, if your rear center speaker, is enabled.

Pro Logic II(x) is a simulated surround format. That's what you use, for 99% of television viewing, and older dvds and vhs tapes, that are in stereo. 5.1 and 6.1 are true discreet surround modes. You must use a digital connection (digital coax cable or optical cable), to hear things in true 5.1 or 6.1 surround. If the dvd only has a 5.1 sound track, you'll only get 6.1 by using Pro Logic, and that defeats the whole purpose of 5.1 or 6.1 discreet channels (real surround). You might as well go to the pawn shop and buy an old Pro Logic receiver.

Most dvd movies are in 5.1 surround. More are coming out that are 6.1, but no real 7.1 yet, on regular dvds. They're supposed to be able to play 7.1 discreet channels, on the new HD DVD or Blu ray dvds, but not sure if they actually have any 7.1 on them yet.

To get real surround from a computer, your sound card must support it. Even if it does, the software dvd player, must also support 5.1 or 6.1 Dolby Digital or DTS (Digital Theater Systems). I use WinDVD on my computer. Mine is a standalone home theater PC (5.1).

With a computer dvd burner, you can record 5.1 or 6.1 to a dvd, but only if the source you're recording, has it.

I hope something I said helps some.
    Good luck!

3. morronga6

morronga6 Member

Thanks for the help... the problem that i am having is just that. most of the things on tv or dvd are stereo or 5.1. since i have regular prologic II i can play the stereo sound from tv on 5 out of 6 speakers. since not too many things are out in 6.1 it feels like i have that extra channel for nothing. if i would of had prologicIIx i would of been able to hear regular tv on 6 speakers even if its not indepent. i have the dvd player w/ a digital coax gives me 5.1 with no problem it doesnt let me use 6 channels unless i used it on 6ch stereo that sounds horrible for a movie. but whatever i guess eventually more movies are going to be released in 6.1 since the standard on hometheathers is starting to be 6.1. ( i guess what i was hoping for was a program like clonedvd2 or something that when i back up my dvd's it will upmix it to 6.1 but thats too much to ask) the movies that i tested 6.1 with are LOTR all the extended ones and Starwars and it sound awsome...

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Hmmmmmm............ I thought that PL II would matrix 6.1, but I guess not (I thought that PL did 5.1, PL II did 6.1, and PL IIx did 7.1). Oh well, sorry 'bout that.

There are really quite a few dvds in 6.1 surround.
    Movies:
    * Alone in the Dark
    * Austin Powers in Goldmember
    * Bad Taste
    * Beastmaster
    * Blade 2
    * Blade Trinity
    * Bones
    * Butterfly Effect, The
    * Can't Stop The Music
    * Chicken Run
    * Contamination
    * Crash
    * Day of the Dead
    * Dead & Buried
    * Devil's Rejects, The
    * Dirty Dancing: Ultimate Edition
    * Domino
    * Dumb and Dumber Unrated
    * Evil Dead, The
    * Fast Company
    * Final Countdown, The
    * Final Destination 2
    * Final Destination 3
    * Fire and Ice
    * God Told Me To
    * Gladiator (2-disc only)
    * Haunting, The
    * Highlander
    * Highlander 2: The Quickening
    * Hills Have Eyes, The
    * Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
    * Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings, The: Extended Edition
    * Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King, The: Extended Edition
    * Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, The: Extended Edition
    * Lord of War
    * Man Who Fell to Earth, The
    * Maniac
    * Maniac Cop
    * Mask: SE, The
    * My Brilliant Career
    * Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion
    * Open Water
    * Osterman Weekend, The
    * Q: The Winged Serpent
    * Running Man, The
    * Running Scared (2006)
    * Rush Hour 2
    * Saw
    * Seven: Platinum Series
    * S1mone
    * Snakes on a Plane
    * Standing in the Shadows of Motown
    * Stargate: Ultimate Edition
    * Starstruck
    * Stir of Echoes: SE
    * Stunt Man, The
    * Suspiria
    * Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The
    * Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition
    * Toy Story 10th Anniversary SE
    * Toy Story 2: SE
    * Upside of Anger, The
    * Venom
    * Vigilante
    * Watcher in the Woods, The
    * X-Men: The Last Stand

There's also good music dvds:

Eagles.........Hell Freezes Over
    Paul McCartney....... Back In The US

Those are the two I have. I'm sure there are more....... :eek:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  5. morronga6

morronga6 Member

nice... will make note of the movies and music dvd