1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can DVD burners go bad

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Chuckp652, May 3, 2005.

1. Chuckp652

Chuckp652 Member

Hi, I have been burning backup copies of dvd's using 321 studios dvdxcopy for a little over a year now. I have done quite a bit. Recently, when writing I received an error. No problem, that has happened before and I attributed it to bad media and continued. But now I am getting an error all the time when trying to burn dvd's. I even attempted a simple burn of a data disk using the Record Now program that came with the computer and that gives an error. However, I can burn a cd using that same burner. The burner is a Teac burner in a Dell computer. I tried several different type of media, all were writable up to 8x. I even downloaded a firmware update for the Teac and this did not solve the problem. My question is can DVD burners themselves go bad? If so, would the dvd burn not work yet the cd burn work? This seems unlikely to me, but I also can't explain why the dvd burn suddenly does not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use a cd/dvd disk cleaner to see if that cleans up your problem