1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can DVD writers read Authored discs?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mosaic, Apr 26, 2002.

1. mosaic

mosaic Member

Hi:

Weird stuff here folks. I got a PIRATE Lord of The Rings ....just a PLAY menu and no extras/ just the movie ....it plays at decent quality.
    BUT!!!.....my PIONEER A04 can't see it!! The daewoo and GE settop players see it.

The disc has a darker color band at the outer edge (half inch wide) which I suspect is defeating my DVD writer.

Can any DVD ROM's read such a disc?

thx

Last edited: Apr 27, 2002
  2. mosaic

mosaic Member

Ok...THERE are drive compatibility issues with authored discs.....I got a Samsung drive which is an OEM NEC dv- 5800A and it can read & rip the authored DVD.

Next prob ..after ripping, the Hard disk version of the VIDEO_TS does not come up with the menu from the IFOEDIT play option. It comes up with a BLACK screen and stays there.

This also happens if I burn the DVDR. I observe that the VIDEO_TS.VOB file is the one that does this when I direct select it.
    How can i get IFOEDIT to point to the MOVIE files as the start up file and not this VIDEO_TS.vob bugger? BTW WINDVD and POWER DVD WILL PLAY the movie properly ...they seem to ignore this prob. But a setop player behaves JUST LIKE IFOEDIT play!.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As far as I know, there is no way that some DVDs don't work on some players and work on some. Once you author a disc, it will become almost an identical to commercial DVDs in compatibility sense. Only reason why some discs might not work is that they're either authored incorrectly which makes them virtually nice christmas tree decorations or have some problems on the surface of the disc.

Only other reason that I can imagine of, is that the DVD is a DVD+RW disc with some special tweaking (not closed correctly or something like that).

But once you author a disc, it works on all DVD-ROM drives and virtually all stand alones, that's a fact (with exception of unclosed DVD-RWs (note hyphen, not plus sign) which tend not to work with stand-alones).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2002