1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I add a Second Hard Drive to a PS2 Fat?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by KillerBug, Feb 17, 2008.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Can I add a Second Hard Drive to a PS2 Fat?

I have a V4 PS2, I have a network adapter on the way from ebay. I was just wondering since it would be a lot cheaper to get 2 500gb drives than a single 1tb drive....

Since it uses a standard ATA drive, can I connect 2 drives?

All the faqs say the ps2 does not detect the drive if you set it as slave, but they say nothing of ataching a double-cable & a master. I ask because if you connect a drive in "slave" mode to the "master" connector in a PC, it usually is not detected by the bios (or not detected corrrectly)

2. metave

metave Member

Why would you need 1TB of games? One 500GB hard drive is ~125 games.

And I would assume you can't, but I don't know for sure.

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I also assume you can't do this, but I would at least like to find someone who tried it...even if they failed, I would have an answer without trying it on my network adapter.

WHY? I want to put some of my DVD collection on the thing & use it as a media player...500gb is ~70 DVDs...I want at least 100, plus room for a few games.

Of course if you can connect two drives, a pair of 1TB drives (~280 DVDs) does sound tempting...

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

How about a USB Advance program modified to do aoftware raid-0 using a pair of USB drives? That should be fast enough to watch movies from...

5. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

usb on the ps2 is slow; it's only usb1.1. you'd get choppy and laggy video playback. also, software raid isn't possible since you don't have a raid controller, nor does the ps2 hardware support such thing.

the only thing to do is get a single 1tb IDE hdd. only the hacked hdloaders (elf or iso) can support up to 2tb; all other hd programs will top at 127gigs because they don't have 48LBA support.

6. vperkins

vperkins Member

I would also like to know, if when using hd advance can you use a 1 tb hard drive,i have 290 + games, and i would love to put them all on one hard drive.

so far all the 1 tb hard drives i've located, uses the sata interface, has any one found away around this issue.

7. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the biggest IDE hdd is probably the seagate barracuda 7200.10 750gig. i don't think any IDE hdd will break 1TB, as the interface is getting outdated.

LINK to seagate hdd on newegg

8. Mazx

Mazx Member

The 11th-generation Seagate® Barracuda® 7200.11 family delivers up to 1 TB of eco-friendly, high-performance storage for your digital life.

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I've figured it out...it can be done, I'm gonna order the parts for the prototype next paycheck!

10. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Do let us know how it goes and how you did it.

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Nothing too briliant...45 latching relays, 2 push buttin switches, a small power supply, a few diodes & lots of wires:

40 small relays for ATA signal cable (I am looking for some good, small multi-pole latching relays so I could just use 4 10-pole relays, or maybee a single 40-pole relay...if anyone knows where I can find them, please post)(might also consider 3-throw or 4-throw relays for 3 or 4 hard drives, but I have not found any small enough in a latching relay)

4 medium relays for ATA power

1 large relay to make sure the ps2 is turned off before making the switch

Push-buttin switches - 1 for each drive

I might be able to use the power from that red "power off" light to control it all, this would save me the the power supply & maybee even the big relay.

Then I want to make a wooden box to keep it all in (assuming it doesn't all burst into flames when I test it)

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  12. mesurf

mesurf Guest

i think you can do it.... anything is possible...

I once saw a pic of this guy who added a sony slot loader dvd rom in his ps2 (it even showed up in his browser. i thought it was sick and have wanted to do the same for a while now.

you should also know that with a very simple mod to the HDD connector you can connect just about ANY ide device to it...

good luck.

i will see if i can find that pic of that dudes dvdrom.

he had 2 dvdroms in the ps2 browser window that shows the memcard etc

13. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Sorry for the delayed update...I am in the middle of moving....

I tried it & it worked (with 46 latching relays). It worked at first, anyway. But after several switches back & forth, it would not work with either drive. I plugged the drives (1 at a time) dirrectly into the network adapter, and HDLoader told me I had to format them (but it crashed whe I tried).

So...I went out and bought a PS3! I know I can add 12TB of redundant hard drives without using a soldering iron (a good thing, since the first game I installed took up more than 1/10 of the 40GB hard drive!)

14. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

You have enough hdds for 12TB of data! I mean sure thats like 12 hdds, but old ones, that'll be a hell of a lot more than 12 hdds. unless you work at an IT store which got rid of old stock :p

Not sure about the maximum hdd you can add to a PS3, but considering they are 2.5" SATA drives, the transfers rates faster than the IDE in teh PS2. And yeah usb2.0 ports on the PS3 :D means you can add any usb hdd to it and not worry about the transfer speed much, but remember to format using fat :p

Wish I had money to buy a larger hdd for my PS3, didnt have the money to buy the PS3 in the first place, got it with my mobile contract. Also trying one of those referral things, on 9/10 referrals but noone wants to be my 10th, even bribes dont work :( So close to getting a possible 2nd PS3 console as well...