1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I backup DVDs to hard disk without lossy compression of audio or video?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by OTK, Feb 7, 2007.

1. OTK

OTK Member

Hi there
    I realise this is a very basic question but - can I backup a DVD to my hard disk without any compression that loses audio or video quality? I would want to watch a DVD at a later date direct from my PC, hooked up to a projector. The reason I ask is that DVDs have a very short shelf life in my house and I have a decent surround sound system so I want to rip the DVDs as I get them and then put them away. I'd like to keep the DTS or whatever encoding system is used for the sound.

I tried to find this out for myself but all the ripping programs seem to involve some compression or conversion to other formats. Is it possible to copy the .vob files to a PC and just use some software or hardware to play them back as needed, with the same quality as direct from DVD? I don't want to burn new DVDs - just store them centrally on a server in my house.

Lossless compression would be great of course.

cheers

OTK

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Try RipIt4Me.

3. cartjunky

cartjunky Member

Almost every program used to rip dvd's gives you the option of ripping without compression, so it's not an issue. Keep in mind drive space will be an issue. You'd be surprised how far a couple of 300GB drives "won't" get you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  4. OTK

OTK Member

OK, so I can do it. I just have 400GB now. I don't have that many movies but then that's because all my old ones are unplayable.

For playback from PC, what determines the quality, compared to a DVD player playing the same files? Is it the graphics card? Where is the DA conversion done on a PC compared to a regular DVD player? Will the audio be the same from the PC optical output compared to the output from a DVD player?