1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I backup imperfect original?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Rodos, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Rodos

Rodos Guest

Hello. This is my second question in two weeks into the wide world of DVD backup. I am really trying before asking I promise !! :) I have read all the FAQ ets but I am still stuck on this problem.
    A few of my original DVD's won't backup. I think it is that there is a fault or some minor damage on the disc. As (example) four of five of a box set backed up fine one would not and it kept stopping at 39%.
    Similar problem with another disc but it kept stopping the backup ata differant point. On reading what is already on the forum I was using DVD XPress but changed to DVD Shrink. I also downloaded DVD Decrypter to copy the problem disc then burn with DVD Shrink. I followed the Decrypter help page/website and did get a copy onto my hard disc in a folder but I don't know how to get that onto a DVD. I tried going through DVD shrink and the open files as instructed but although it could find the folder it could not find the file the help site said to click on. Is there a way for intelligence challenged people like me to backup my problematic DVD's in an easy way please.
    Advice as always very much appreciated. Hope you will understand it is especially annoying when it is one disc in box set etc that i want to look after.
    Thank You
    R

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

When a disc errors out at the same point and it's visibly in good condition chances are that it has a bit of corrupt data on it from the factory.

The other disc that errors out a random points, is it dirty or scratched?

When you used Decrypter did you rip the disc in File or ISO mode? What file did the guide tell you to look for?

3. Rodos

Rodos Guest

Thank you firstly for taking the time to reply and help.
    The original disc seems to play ok, I cannot remember it sticking or anything. Visually there are no obvious scratches or marks.

When I used decrypter I ripped the disc in file mode (thats what the tutorial said to do)

The guide told me to look for the following file (direct quote follows)"To use these files with DVD Shrink, simply choose "Open File"
    and point to the "Video_TS.IFO" one

As said when I follwed that and oped the approproiate folder no files were shown. Although it was in the folder on HD as I checked.

Do you feel i will be able to back up these problem discs either with this method or another. I also have Nero 6 but not sure if that will help.
    Thanks again

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have had reasonable success with DvdX rescue with dodgy dvds

5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Rodos,
    I think I see what you are doing wrong.
    You ripped in file mode and that is OK as the file was saved on the HD as ( usually the name of the movie). At this point all you have to do is click on that file ( at this point it is not an.iso file). Then Shrink does quick analysis

Here is where I think you are having problems. Try it this way.After you have done analysis and set up the preferences on whole movie or entire disk you :

Make sure you make a folder on the Desktop and you can call it Rip Movies

1. Click Backup and go to burn setting and disable Nero if you have Nero

2. Click SelectTarget Drive> click Iso Disc Image

3. Select Target Image File> Browse>Desktop> Rip Movie ( file you made)

4. Make sure to check the box Launch DVDDecrypter to burn the output image

5. click O.K

6. It will now do analysis and then encode the movie and automatically burn with DVDDecrypter

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  6. Rodos

Rodos Guest

Thank you pulsar I will get that program and let you know how it works out.
    thanks
    R

7. Rodos

Rodos Guest

Thank you for taking the time to reply Mike.Car

I have tried exactly what you advise but no luck. I think my copy of DVD Shrink must be differant.I have version 3.2

There was no option to disable Nero on Burn settings but I found it elsewere under options.

I couldn't find this one at all though
    >Make sure to check the box Launch DVDDecrypter to burn the output image

There is no box for DVDDecrypter anywere that I can find

Thus I cannot get DVDDecrpyter to burn the copy on the HD.

Thanks though
    R

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Rodos,
    Sorry. My Fault. I was so used to Shrink that I quoted you 3.1.7 version instead of the new version.

Burn w/ DVDDecrypter is under:

Backup> Target Device>Select Target Backup>Select Iso Image and Burn w/ DVDDecrypter