1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I change formats from PAL to NTSC?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mrnoir, Jul 4, 2005.

1. mrnoir

mrnoir Member

I have several disks formatted in Region 2 PAL). Is it possible to change the PAL format to Region 1, North America, using dvd shrink?
    Thanks
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  4. southblue

southblue Member

I use IFOEdit and it really worked!
  5. Bawjawz

Bawjawz Guest

OMG I don't believe it.

WINAVI saved the day here also....
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2005
  6. Bawjawz

Bawjawz Guest

Ripping NTSC/PAL DVD and converting to PAL/NTSC DVD is best done with good old DVD Decrypter though.

Oops, I told my mate to rip the Team America Region 1 import with DVD Decrypter to his HD, then he used WINAVI to covert the VOBS, sequentially using WINAVI, to DVD format again. Voila.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2005
  7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Really? Can you explain to us how that is done? If it can be done with Decrypter that would be great and save a lot of people some head ache's....

Here is a free way to do it usin VobBlanker

For those wanting to convert PAL to NTSC, download Vob Blanker. Rip your movie to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter. Then open your newly ripped files with VOB blanker. Under the title set block (center of program window), you'll see your VOB files. The center column says "video format". My example says NTSC 4:3 720x480. If you right click on the VOB's you want to convert, then select "video attributes", you'll see a new window pop up. In this window, you can change the "standard" from PAL to NTSC and vice versa. You can even change the resolution in this window.

Do the above, then select or make a new output folder. Click on "process" at the bottom and let the conversion begin. You can then use DVD Shrink or any other compression/burning program of your choice to burn your newly converted NTSC or PAL dvd (whichever you chose to convert to).

Source SadSac
  8. southblue

southblue Member

Here’s how to do it:

Using IFOEdit, open .IFO files. The program will have two windows of information. In the bottom window there will be lots of lines of text. Look for the lines (there will be 1 or 2 or more depending upon which IFO file you are looking at) of text containing the word "PAL." Double click those lines. A dialog box will open. There is a button to select PAL or NTSC. Select NTSC. Save the file. It will ask if you want to change the .BUP files as well. Answer "Yes." You're done. Burn away.

This is not a true conversion (PAL to NTSC) but changing the info files like this will trick many DVD players into believing this is an NTSC recording. I have heard it will not work on all DVD players but it works great on mine. No problems whatsoever. Again, it does nothing to alter the actual video files, so there is no deterioration of the quality.

The worst thing that could happen is that it wouldn't work on your player and you'd have wasted $.50 on a DVD+R. Back up every file in the "VIDEO_TS" folder that is not a video (VOB) file and if this doesn't work for you, you can restore the folder to its original state (this is also a good idea in case you ever wish to trade the show or reseed it, etc.).

IFOEdit is free, and available here:http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/x-Download-8763.html
    This is what I do. I have done it maybe 10 times and it has worked perfectly every time. Just thought I’d pass it along.
    For more detail check herehere

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

We know you can do it with ifoedit...we want to know how to do it with Decrypter. Hehehe

I think there may be a bit of confusion here...

PAL to NTSC conversion is quite different than dealing with region code protection, which Decrypter does well.

By the way Southblue, thank you for the information!
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  10. southblue

southblue Member

Sorry then. Is that for me is more complicated to do it with decrypter, anyway I read somewhere that you can change the regions via TOOLS-->IFO-->Region Patch (of course previous check the file zone with Region Information).
  11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I actually liked your answer!

I just wanted to make the point that region codes are totally and completely different than PAL/NTSC formats. Apples and Oranges!
  12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

13. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member