1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I change the region for my backup ??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Biglad, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

I am sure this will have been mentioned before but I couldn't find the info I was after.

I am backing up Mission Impossible 2 (Region 1). Is there any way I can change it to a different region when I back up ??

Thanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

3. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Nice one Oriphus, I didn't realise DVD Shrink could change the region. Thanks m8.
    Will have a go tonight.

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Just keep this in mind; region codes are different from format. Meaning if you live in the UK and buy a region 1 disc, you won't be able to watch it on your stand alone DVD player.

5. DMW

DMW Regular member

Ken, i have watched region 1 DVDs on my home player before. What player do you have? Is it multi-region? Just seems strange that ive managed it on mine, thought it was common place now to have multi-region dvd players.

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I guess it depends on what part of the world you live in. I'm in Canada, and very few of the DVD players offered are all region; usually it's a "no-name" brand of DVD player.

Where abouts do you live, DMW? And does your stand alone player play PAL and NTSC discs? If so, that would be a handy one to have.

7. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi, Im in the UK and yeah my first was a "no-name" player, badged YUKAI and manufactured by Mustek. My new one is also technically "no-Name" meaning not Sony, JVC etc, sold by a local firm and it plays everything but DIVX, looks great too. Also it does have an NTSC/PAL switch on the back, dont know if it wlil let me play NTSC, not got any to try and not encoded any either. Another good one to look out for is a player called RONIN, 307 i think is there latest, they play all formats and i believe have this switch, unfortunately i dont know if it is available in Canada, may be worth a look.

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

So I guess that means the region 1 disc you watched was still PAL. That makes sense now. Well, I just ordered a PAL DVD off ebay so I'll be conducting my first experiment in converting a disc. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

9. DMW

DMW Regular member

I honestly dont know, it was the cell and a while ago, it may well have been PAL. Let us know how your experiment goes.

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Most DVD players, UK included (especially Smsungs) are very easily made multi regional. A lot of the new ones will also support both NTSC and Pal formats.