1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i connect my 250gb HDD to my PS3 using USB??

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by malyfsux, May 14, 2007.

1. malyfsux

malyfsux Member

i have a 250gb external hd which i use with my PC but when i tried to connect it to my PS3 it just said 'unknown usb device connected'. How can i make it work

Any help appreciated!!!

malyfsux

2. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

You have to format your hard drive with the FAT file system, NTFS will not work. You should also put the proper directories on the hard drive as folders ex “PHOTOS” and then put the photos in that folder. Then it will work. You cannot format above 32GB with Windows XP or Vista, you have to use a utility such as swisknife v3. Do a search, to find the rest of the directory names and software. (Everyone else; this is how you get people to search and learn, give them enough info to get them on the right track. Just telling them to “do a search idiot!” only makes them angry. The more newbie moders we have the less likely they will be able to find the real ones.)

3. malyfsux

malyfsux Member

thanks for the info much appreciated. i actually did a search on this topic but didnt come up with anything related so had to make a thread!

4. malyfsux

malyfsux Member

can a driver also be a reason for not detecting it?

5. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Unlikely, however there have been reports that some external hard drives do not work with the PS3, perhaps old ones. All the external drives I have used have worked. I have also used USB memory sticks. The hard drive MUST be formatted using the FAT32 file system or the PS3 will not use it. There are threads out there that already tell you how to do this, how do you think I found out? Search, Search, Search and ye will find!

6. markjt

markjt Member

You could also use Acronis Disk Director incase you cant find Swissknife

7. malyfsux

malyfsux Member

i just checked and my hdd is already fat32 and it still doesnt detect it! I did a search on this and only thing i could come up with is if its fat32 its should work for sure. What should i do now?

malyfsux

8. malyfsux

malyfsux Member

my hdd is not even old....just bought it last christmas. on the other hand my flash disk seems to work fine!!

9. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Did you make a directory called “PHOTOS” and put some jpegs in there, then hook up to the PS3 USB port and navigate to the photos folder, there should be another folder option called the root name of the device. There you should have access to your photos, the same goes for the other folders you have to make, do a search for them, there are at least 3 unique folders you have to make. If it still does not work, try to re-format the drive with Swissknife or another format program and set to FAT32. Make the folder “PHOTOS” and try again, if it still does not work then your external hard drive is not compatible with the PS3, hope there will be a PS3 update that will fix this for you otherwise you will have to try another external hard drive.

10. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

You could make a 32GB partition on your external drive and format it with VISTA or XP as FAT32 and try it but the PS3 will only see the main partition and will not recognize any extended partitions. If you are using a large external HD and want to use free space above 32GB you need to use swissknife or another format program.

11. DBM_Bones

DBM_Bones Regular member

Sounds like its a problem with your USB chipset in the HDD houseing, Im sure your HDD is fine, sound like your need to get a new houseing or sell the whole lot and buy a different brand.

or a get a USB 2.5" HDD

12. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

External 2.5 HDD is nice because you don’t need to plug it in BUT!…You also get a lot less bang for your buck!