1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I convert my Hp 300i from + to -R for dvd X copy Help!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by valanzj, Apr 12, 2004.

1. valanzj

valanzj Member

Ok here is my story,
    My friend tells me that the most important dvd media to buy is DVD –R because this format is the most common among dvd players. So I got DVD x copy and all my other stuff, and when I go to make my first copy, I realize that my DVD rom is a +r. I have an HP Pavilion with a DVD rom - HP 300i/NEC ND-1100A 4X DVD+R/RW. So here are my questions:

Should I just burn all my backups to +R and not worry about it?

Is there a driver to allow me to use the drive as a –r and or a +R? If so where can I get it and how do I upgrade it?

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

I have a 300e (external version) and afaik there is no firmware upgrade to -r
    +r should work fine but i used dvdxcopy for about 1 day so dont quote me. I would advise downloading dvd shrink and dvd decrypter once youve had enough of dvdxcopy

3. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi valanzj
    Welcome to the forums. I own a HP 300i DVD burner. It burns only +R and +RW media ( a + burner). After burning over 400 discs, I have learned a few tricks. Most modern DVD players ( 3 years old or less) will play both + and - media. I own two Sony DVD standalone players The Sony multiplay has less problems playing burnt movies than the single play. My bothers Toshiba does not like burnt DVD's. If you check the forums you will find that Toshiba is the pickiest of the lot. The cheaper the standalone - the more likely it will play back all the discs you try in it. To increase compatability my burner book type is set as DVD-ROM not + R. I have found that since I changed book types my discs play on more machines than before. Even my Sony single play will play most of the burnt DVD without problems
    I hope this helps