1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i convert vob's to iso's?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gymrat, Sep 29, 2004.

1. gymrat

gymrat Member

i use win avi to encode avi2mpg then i use tmpeg dvd author to burn them onto dvd but sometimes the movie's stick for like a millisecond but it is very noticable when watching.
    Can i convert the vob files WinAvi made, into iso files thus enabling me to then burn onto dvd using dvd dycrypter?
    or is there something im doing wrong that is causing the sticking?

Thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Using low quality media and/or burning too fast can cause skipping.

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

neph is right, both of those will cause problems, especially crappy media. but in answer to your question, yes you can convert to ISO.

In fact just use shrink 3.2 and use the auto burn with decrypter using ISO in the window that opens after hitting backup - target window options. :)

4. gymrat

gymrat Member

Thanks, i always use GO4 Ritek discs and always burn at 4X.
    Is there a guide i could follow for your way of doing things with Dvd shrink bigorange?

Thanks for the help both.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

All you have to do is open shrink 3.2 using "open files" and browse to your file folder and when you hit backup a window will appear. On the 1st tab, target device you will see a drop down menu. Open that and choose "ISO image file and burn with decrypter".

Make sure that the enable burn with nero is unchecked. To do that go to edit > preferences > file I/O > uncheck burn w/ nero box.

Here is a quickie shrink 3.2 guide I wrote, you may be able to use it to assist you in shrink for any kind of DVD backup:

1-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and browse to your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------good luck! :>)

6. gymrat

gymrat Member

thats great thanks for taking the time to do that.
    im finding it's the program winavi causing the discs to jump and freeze.
    i tryed dvdsanta and the discs have been fine ever since.
    can u tell me how you encode a movie right from downloaded stage?
    i am just dragging the movie into santa then encoding about 1 and a half hours then burning the vob files using tmpeg dvd author.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

gymrat-No problem :)

I use NeroVisionExpress(NVE) to convert files and create menus and buttons, it has a import feature that enables custom backgrounds and buttons, both moving and stills.

It also has a handy software remote to view your work with before you burn enabling you to go back and correct any errors or change something you're not happy with.

I also use DVDLab quite a bit to author my DVD's after converting the files , it's learning curve is a little higher and it costs 99.00, but it does have a 30 day trial. However NVE will do both.

I'm not too familiar with DVDSanta and tho I have used TMPGEnc DVD Author I like NVE and DVDLab better.

I would suggest using NVE, it comes with the nero ultra 6 suite,(an entire suite of video and audio applications) and can be downloaded for free each and every month and is good for the ENTIRE month til you decide to buy. Make sure to get update packs 1,2,4,5, and 6. Do NOT get #3, InCD, it is a packet writing software that tends to conflict with other softwares. :>)

8. gymrat

gymrat Member

ok, what media do u use..i use datawrite yellow go4
    and i assume you get no jumping or freezing on the dvd's ?

another thing..when u burn do u just use that program or do u have other programs running in the background..and do u surf while burning?

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I use "branded" Ritek G04 4x -R or Ridata 4x +R, as long as they are stamped with that on the disc yours should be fine. There is a handy little freebie called dvdinfopro. It will analyze media, drives, etc. i keep it on my desktop cos it's so handy and I use it all the time.

I NEVER run any other programs while doing DVD backups. Not even screensavers. It can and will INTERFERE.

Doing video work on your PC is the most resource intensive thing your computer can do. one of the 1st rules is NO multitasking! Especially surfing the net.

Hope this helps. getting ready to go to the Tennessee/Auburn game, if you have problems let me know, I'll be back tomorrow. Good luck! :>)

10. gymrat

gymrat Member

Ok Thanks
    Can you help with this one...i have got a movie on the hard drive and it plays great untill i encode it using dvd santa,then all the audio goes out of sync.
    do you know why this is and what i can do to remedy this?

Thanks again.

11. meowmie

meowmie Member

same problem as you gymrat with DVDSanta, so if you fix it would be interested to find out how.

I have read so many different threads, but they are all a bit confusing as I am a total beginner so if there is a simple fix please let me know

Thanx

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm....sorry guys, I have never used DVDSanta but it seems to be more and more popular, I think I will DL it and check it out. Unfortunately that doesn't help you out now, but i have read of this problem concerning this app in other threads. I'll see what I can find out. :>(

13. meowmie

meowmie Member

It may have been me, I said about it in a different thread, someone gave me a link which had another link in it etc and I ended up here.
    I have read other threads on audio sync problems but I really cant follow them. I have problems arranging things in my head, I think it might have something to do with my dyspraxia (dunno how to spell it) but I hve nowtries cucusoft > ifoedit > shrink > decryptor and had sync problems again so am gonna try a different file to see if it is the file not the software