1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i convert...

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Ironenced, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Ironenced

Ironenced Member

a avi file to mpg file and still keeping the same quality/file size on the mpg as the original avi? I got good capture on avi, but when trying to convert it to mpg and not to big size i'm getting squares on 352x288 settings

2. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

can you give more detail about the squares?

the answer is no. divx (if that's what you mean by avi) and xvid are different from vcd and svcd in that it has a higher quality at a smaller size so that svcd can have a better quality than divx but only at much higher file sizes unless you start messing with more than one pass, then that I'm not sure about, but in general no.

3. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys, .avi is not always Divx, although it often is. .avi files tend to have been encoded for easy , quick downloading, for running on a PC only. As MPEG is another form of compression .mpg, all you do when you convert .avi to .mpg is lower quality, kind of like colour photocopying a good quality photo, although the contrast in quality is more pronounced. So Khisanth, you are kind of right, although .avi can be excellent quality (better than VCD .mpg) and even as good as SVCD, but the reason is you are taking one compressed format and compressing it into another, which reduces quality.

Like your sig, by the way!

The squares are interesting, but perhaps you could increase the motion capture rate in TMPGEnc (if that is what you are using) and keeping the aspect ratio at1:1, VGA

Paul.

4. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

so I was curious, what else could an avi be besides divx and xvid? I mean, I know it has to be something else cause those two are the most used, although among movie rippers it might be. Or would it just be avi and that's it?

5. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Hey you are right there, quick answer.

.avi is a wrapper for many types of video file. I am about to answer another thread so I will be brief, but divx is obviously common, as are proprietary (like TMD) codecs that use a .avi extension. Really important to have those codecs, as other types of codec will not work when you play, or try to convert. Basically anything with .avi extension will have been compressed and .mpg (VCD 352x288 pal) is a absolutely accepted compression format. When you copy from one to another, the methods of encoding are different and it gets complicated, but basically in .mpg the screen is set into blocks, which are in turn animated, this is great for pure source video, but when you apply something that had already been encoded in a different way, it gets blocky, choppy, pixelated, etc.

Hope I have made sense, as I was typing this very quickly!

Paul.

6. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

it was clear, thanks for the reply

7. DLB

DLB Guest

Ok here we go
    TMD is the first release, normally low quality. Divx normally is the dvd rip, in an avi format can come in new form of xvids that are difficult to convert. But I have found a way out after 3 hours of pain.

What I did was got 2 codecs

Xvid Codec
    Nimo 5 Codec Final

Then i run audio decompressor that normally comes with AVI2VCD and then chose the deompressed file (normally _pcm.avi) then choose that pcm_avi file using Tmpgenc and encode it into a vcd or dvd.

Hope this helps and works

Jay

Please feel free to msn or email me jaysood@hotmail;.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2003