1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get all of my files back and more?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ken_919, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I turned on my computer today and it said "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\windows\system32\config\system" and I fixed the problem by using Microsoft's Help & Support link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
    After I got that fixed, I went to My Computer and all of my files were missing. Before all of this, I was using 60gb of my hardrive and right now, it still says the same thing. All of my Program Files are still there with all the programs I originally had installed but none of them work. I will probably have to re-install them. Also, in Add/Remove Programs, my printer is the only thing showing up, after I just got done re-installing it. How can I get all of my files back that were in My Documents and do I have to re-install of my programs?

2. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

did you do the system restore and if so how far back did you restore?

I think you will have to reinstall all of your programs though because it sounds like you have began with a completely new registry again i think so although your program files are there they will not be registered.

And have you looked for your my documents files by browsing the hd? eg C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

go into your my documents and settings directory on the c:\ drive in the command prompt and see if your files are still there....post back...

4. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I used a program called GetDataBack and it recovered all my files. I then put the files I needed on a cd and then did a fresh install of Windows XP. I re-installed most of my programs I originally had and everythings good now. Thanks for replying back.

5. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

thats what this forum is here for

6. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

you could probably have saved everything a different way than that but sometimes a fresh install is a good choice :)

7. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

to save stuff the other ways, u really need to be experienced in doing it, as u may have to go around certain thing to save them....and as always a lot of patience....

8. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

It happened again. The same file was stated as missing or corrupted. Am I having bad luck or could it be a hardware problem, like my hard drive or anything else?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you or can you try another hd to see if problem follows or not

10. ken_919

ken_919 Regular member

I don't have another hd at the time, but I did what I did before and then did a System Restore to yesterday and now everything works good and all of my files are still here.