1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get on wii shop channel with softmodded wii? Followed Larry's 4.2u guide...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by tc154, Feb 15, 2010.

1. tc154

tc154 Member

I had read somewhere that you can use the wii's internet capabilities even if it was softmodded. But when I try to get on the wii shop channel it promps me for a system update. I have 3 questions...

1) Is it possible to get on there without doing an update, if so how.

2) If I can't do that, can I 'un-softmod' my wii, get on wii shop, then re-softmod it after I get a few things? Can I backup my 'soft-modded' NAND then do the system update just to get on, then restore my 'soft-modded' NAND to get it back to the softmodded state?

3) Would I be able to find wii-ware stuff somewhere else besides the wii shop channel?
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. marshalla

marshalla Member

wiiware is easily available on torrent sites, available as wads and installed with wad manager
  4. megapimp0

megapimp0 Member

dont know if its possible to get on with out update or not,
    2. you can unsoftmod to try to access the shop however youll still have to update to access the shop there by making it impossible,based on what you update to, to softmod again. however if you use bootmii i dont know what will happen
    3.almost all the channels that are available on the wii store are available somewhere on the net you just have to search for it. you need a wad installer and the wad for the appropriate channel. you could even make wads out of dol. but DO NOT DO THAT unless you have bootmii on boot2
  5. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Your questions are totally unnecessary.

If you're already on 4.2 then the only thing that will update is the shop channel. It won't touch your softmod or see it or anything. Letting it run that update will not damage the wii. Even if you were on an earlier firmware, the worst case scenario of updating with a modded wii is that it will no longer be modded and you'll have to reinstall your softmod.

The people telling you that you cant reinstall the softmod after updating are either mistaken or extremely out of date. Even a fully updated wii can be softmodded in under 15 minutes.

Anyway, if you're paranoid about updating then you can DL the wad for the most recent shop channel and install it manually with the wad manager. Then it will no longer ask to run the update.

The method you described in your second question will do you no good. If you back up your softmodded NAND before DLing the wiiware you want then when you restore the NAND your wiiware will be gone as well.

Finally, you can find wiiware wads online and install them with the wad manager, but we cant tell you were to get them on here since doing it that way is pirating the games.
  6. galantsex

galantsex Guest

I just soft modded my wii a couple of weeks ago. I was wondering this as well as my main purpose for softmodding the wii was for the homebrew apps/games. with Megaman 10 around the corner I just need to know if I can access the shop channel and purchase said game. I really don't want to pirate the game.
  7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The easiest way to update the shop channel (without for sure effecting your softmod) is to download the latest version of shop channel using NUSD and install it using WAD Manager.

Directions...

Download NUSD from HERE.

Extract it to a folder on your PC (this is a PC aplication not a Wii Aplication). Then run it by selecting the NUSD_13Beta.exe file.

Tick the box toward the bottom for Pack --> WAD.

Then at the top go to Database>System>Shopping Channel>41(All/Systems)>Latest Version (if you have a korean system make sure to choose 48 Korean).

Now click on Start NUS Download at the top.

In the NUSD folder there will be a new folder that was created. Inside that folder should be a file named Shopping Channel-NUS-v18.wad.

Drag that to the wad folder on your SD card and use WAD Manager to install it.

You are now updated to the latest shop channel.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  8. Denver621

Denver621 Regular member

Is this still safe to do right now today? Have there been any new changes recently that would cause problems if I update my shop channel this way as of 12.22.10?
  9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

no. use dop-mii 14.5 to install v20.
  10. redcape

redcape Regular member

I can't find the folder. I was able to do everything else you said but I tried to find the folder to locate the shop channel wad and can't find it.
  11. redcape

redcape Regular member

can't you do the same thing with LarryLje's suggestion?
  12. redcape

redcape Regular member

okay I found the folder and the wad. I did as you suggested and when I tried to load the channel from the system menu I got a blue screen with "error code #002 eject the disc and shut down the wii. what do I do, how do I fix this?
  13. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

like i said before, use dop-mii to install it over the internet. it's straight from the NUS server.