1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I hook 2 computer's together???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dubora999, May 7, 2007.

1. dubora999

dubora999 Member

One of my friends had to computers hooked up (not screens) he couldhe could go from one computer to the other, he did this so he could use his old computer only for testin or for holding his stuff on it from music to downloads, program installer's and so on. If there is anyone that might know how or know a site that show you or what ever...Please help

2. JKBrown

JKBrown Guest

yes you should be able to get a switch for that at radio shack. I forget the name of it but i was going to get one little while back. it's like some kind of hub

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

do you mean one keyboard for two machines, or do you mean they were networked? you're not being very clear.

4. dubora999

dubora999 Member

OK thanks, I'll go down town and take a look...if any one else might know the name of this or might know anything else please reply

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i still don't really get what the heck you're asking for.

6. JKBrown

JKBrown Guest

the hub is for hooking an extra tower up to 1 whole system , to run 2 Towers off the same monitor / keyboard /mouse.

7. docTY

docTY Regular member

going on the vague details, i am going to assume i get what you are looking for...

what you need is a KVM 2-port switch, they make 4-port ones too but since you are only dealing with 2 computers you want to "hook up", then a standard 2-port one will suffice~

what it comes down to is using one keyboard and one monitor for 2 computers, using hotkeys (it will tell you in the manual as to what hotkeys are preset by default to go between the 2 comps) to switch between the two separate computers.

just do some research online as to manufacturers, i've used several Belkin branded KVM switches and have had no problems with them, there are a lot of other choices too and they vary in price depending on the feature set.

8. JKBrown

JKBrown Guest

i just checked , 2 Port KVM Switch go's for around 50.00 bucks at radio shack for a half decent one.

9. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

lol....[never mind]

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  10. dubora999

dubora999 Member

the only reason i want to do so is for space, i have alot of hard drive's and i could put 4 in my old one with no CD drives and try to hook it to my Aleinware computer, kinda like makein my own 1TB hard drive. Thank for the info guys...i'll look in to it

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

to share the information between pc's, you'll still have to have them networked, either directly with a crossover cable or on a home network via a router/hub.