1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I hook up network adapter to my pc not a router?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xxBIGJxx, Dec 3, 2003.

1. xxBIGJxx

xxBIGJxx Guest

Is there a way to hook the dsl wire into another network card on this pc? I have xp.

2. SoCalSRH

SoCalSRH Regular member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. poo_fart

poo_fart Guest

YEAH... WELL HOW 'BOUT YOU fusk OFF!!!!!!

4. xxBIGJxx

xxBIGJxx Guest

I have a spare network card. I thought I might be able to configure it to work. Maybe this is more of a pc question and not a playstation thread.

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

Yes, just install the 2nd network card and connect it to your PS2. It will probably need a crossover cable to go between the two. Set your XP box to use Internet Connection Sharing on the NIC connected to your DSL. Set the PS2 to have a default gateway of the 2nd network card's IP address and manually put in your ISPs DNS servers.
    Thats basically what I do with my cable. I have an old Pentium 2 that I just put 2 NICs in, one for the broadband network and the other I connect to a cheap hub and have 3 pcs and a PS2 connected to it.
    A Cable/DSL router will do the same thing, but since you already have the 2nd NIC that will work and not cost anything. While the method using a hub that was mentioned in an earlier post would work, you would not be able to have your pc and ps2 online at the same time unless your DSL provider gives you multiple IP addresses. I only get a single address from my ISP so I wouldn't be able to play on the PS2 online while my son is playing Counterstrike on the PC. With the way that I do it, I have a local network using 192.168.x.x or any of the other RFC 1918 private ranges and then the PC has the single routeable address. Everything else connects through it and uses ICS, which NATs it before it goes out to the net.