1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Identify Audio CD Tracks?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bilvihur, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bilvihur

bilvihur Member

A guy at work game me a stack of audio CD's without playlists. I would guess he ripped and downloaded various MP3's to put the audio together. When I insert the CD into my computer, all I see are Audio Track 1, Audio Track 2, etc. I've tried using CDex, and EAC to search a CDDB database, but the freedb server times out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to ID individual tracks on an audio CD?

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the track id info is missing.i had a heap of songs of an ipod with the same problem.with some help from family and friends we recognised some of the tracks and named them.windows media player database recognises most the tracks i put on my computer now.keep searching databases or manually rename them yourself.

3. bilvihur

bilvihur Member

I found a program called Switch Audio/Sound File Converter, from NCH Software, which is 90% successful at accessing the freedb server and identifying the tracks.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

You friend didn't think ahead. Maybe that is why he gave them away. Most burn apps will allow you to include the tag info to a burned audio disk.

Check the top sticky and go down to Audio finger prints
    I have a few links to articles about this technology.

Like finger prints, the audio is cataloged by unique elements and the time between them. The software makes a fingerprint profile then searches a profile database for a match.

You can't us freedb like you are trying to do because the commercial CDs have a title that is looked up by freeDB. The reason freedb took so long is freedb was still waiting for the title it was expecting. Yours doesn't have a title so freedb is useless.

I don't know how Switch Audio/Sound File Converter works so it may work fine but it will need the album title to use freedb. The other technology uses at least 2 databases. The second might be freedb I don't remember now.

I would be very suspicious about quality. You might want to run a Tao analyzer on them. (Also in the top sticky)

I think this is the actual product you want. It is shareware with a trial period. It claims to be able to correct the mp3 tags in a batch process. It uses fingerprint technology. If you use it you should write a review. The weakness of these systems is that even the most extensive free tag database, freedb, is quite incomplete and is loaded with errors. Paid for databases, limit their use to ripping commercial CDs.

Magic_MP3_Tagger

I think I found a much better solution.
    A post on a Media Monkey Forum about Autotagging addons

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  5. Mez

Mez Active member

The problem with your converter is it uses its own codexes. The best ones our there took years to debug by first rate programmers. For instance, Apple's AAC was written buy the company that invented mp3s but making variable bit rates were too difficult for them and LAME is the market leader. AAC has been out for almost 10 yrs and still has almost 1,000 different artifacts. Can you imagine how many bugs a third rate companie's codexes will have?