1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I install DVDx with firmware 4.0?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by DSWarrior, Apr 5, 2009.

1. DSWarrior

DSWarrior Member

Hello guys, I've been googling and reading and I found out that DVDx has 2 installers, one for firmware 3.3< and one for 3.4>, but I'm on 4.0 with homebrew channel, modchip and the ability to install .wad's, so I was wondering...can I install DVDx with my current setup?...Or do I have to wait for a new installer to be released...?

I'm really not wanting to brick my Wii or install something that doesn't belong...so please let me know if I would be able to install it without downgrading the firmware or cIOS, etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. karlroby

karlroby Regular member

Hi there,

As said in numerous posts in other threads on this topic, you cannot install DVDx on a wii system with the 4.0 firmware you are gonna have to wait unfortunately pal

3. DSWarrior

DSWarrior Member

Thanks a bunch fir the reply...I finally found my answer last night...

I guess I'll have to wait then...No biggie...I really don't watch that many movies anyway... =)

4. karlroby

karlroby Regular member

I have read in other posts that the wii can't play DVD movies at full speed with DVDx and its not so good at the moment and using even a cheap standalone DVD player is better option mate :)

5. DSWarrior

DSWarrior Member

Well, today for my surprise and great pleasure, I discovered BannerBomb...I used it to load the HackMii Installer which installs the newest Homebrew Channel, BootMii and DVDx...I used BannerBomb because I found a guide somewhere that used that method to load the installer...but I think it's possible to use HBC too.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I can link the guide here and maybe give you a few pointers...

I now have full DVDx support and DVDs play nicely...I haven't noticed any lag or anything yet.

6. ju421019

ju421019 Member

Can you link the guide? I need to install Bootmii - but dont have a classic controller or gamecube controller.

7. DSWarrior

DSWarrior Member

Here you go

In the IOS Downgrader select to install PatchMii and DVDx too, for BootMii you'll need HackMii Installer which is linked on the guide.

Be careful and read throughly, it worked for me but your Wii is at risk when tampering with Homebrew stuff...

Oh, and by the way...The Wiimote doesn't work on BootMii, you'll need to move with the Power Button (on the Wii) and use Reset to select any option.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  8. BlazeReap

BlazeReap Member

I beleive that this seems on topic, do you need DVDx to run a Gamecube Backup Loader?

9. DSWarrior

DSWarrior Member

Well, not that I'm aware of. You do need cMIOS Rev3...But anyway, check this guide out. It has a full explanation on how to soft mod your Wii.