1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I install Linux only on this desktop

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by rogue20, Jan 3, 2010.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff, live cd's are amazing things, i prefer to either install to hard drive or run from a USB stick, i hate hearing CD/DVD drives suffer while running stuff from a live cd.
    I even have one old P4 machine with a dodgy IDE connection, i just removed the hard drive and run Puppy linux from a USB stick, nice and quick, and very quiet, especially as the hard drive in that machine had a horrible high pitched whine. I have other spare drives but running from a USB stick is fine.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. scum101

scum101 Guest

never heard of a windoze boot virus? .. best reason in the universe for keeping linux totally outside ANY windoze filesystem or boot strategy or partitioning junkware

love these n00bs who come along still living in microcrap world..

IF I need to run anything that requires windoze.. which is only a bit of software for my phone (java cracking app for samsung games) and the cd printing stuff for my piracy activities.. I run it in a vm.. because I totally think windoze is just crap.. single threaded obsolete monolithic exploitable junk.. buggy and broken by design.. and has been since 98.. I don't want it saving anything.. I don't want it on my hardware at all.. I refuse to dual boot the junk.. it's not secure.

My bluetooth dongle was a perfect example..
    debian.. apt-get 3 files and let them install and configure themselves.. then plug it in and it worked straight out of the box. Maybe 3 minutes....
    windoze.. 4 hours to end up with an impossible to resolve dll wrong version conflict.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  3. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Was just trying out the bigger Ubuntu Super OS 9.10, it's a bigger live cd, over 1GB, with lots more preinstalled programs. It was even quicker when browsing from the live cd then Windows, I will be installing it to my hard drive on my new build, just trying out different distro's.

Quote "never heard of a windoze boot virus"???

4. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Well it looks like I can't use Opensuse or Kubuntu with my hardware, they don't come with any drivers for my graphics and they can't be installed as all text is microscopic rendering the desktop unusable.

I tried text mode and different resolutions but with no luck, maybe the dvd versions come with a driver already installed. PC Linux live worked fine once but now will not load from the CD, it starts ok then just goes to a blank screen, hope burning a new CD will work.

5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

6. scum101

scum101 Guest

bloody hell.. who would want to use opensuse or kubuntu.. both garbage.

graphics driver? .. the majors both release drivers (ati-nvidia) or the generic vesa driver will run 99% of everything in some form or other..

you are still stuck in windoze world with the belief that ONLY a specific manufacturer made driver will run your hardware.. NOT TRUE.. I bet kubuntu would work and the debian version (or the manufacturers generic *nix) driver for whatever card it is would install and work just fine.

debian.fedora,slackware.mandriva .. take your pick.. all mainstream big distros with a huge userbase.

to answer your other question.. something linux is immune to... http://www.geckoandfly.com/2008/11/...s-xp-or-vista-remove-boot-virus-from-startup/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  7. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

Thanks, will try that, could you possible just answer one more question for me, I just burned another PC Linux CD and run a media check on it, it came up as passed and said this media is ok to install, then in a little box "OK". I tried Esc to exit but it just did nothing.

I thought the prompt was saying test complete, OK was to exit the test and I pressed enter, it then seemed to start installing to my hard drive with no warnings, I immediatly pressed the open button on the dvd drive which seemed to stop it, would it have installed with out any further prompting or warnings or would it have just gone back to the main boot screen, thanks.

8. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

9. rogue20

rogue20 Regular member

More worried at the moment with what PC Linux was doing after the media check, still learning but that was a bit scary and kinda bad, giving no warning or prompts before trying to install it's self.