1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I play and rip a SACD/DVD-A disc

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Garrycs, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Garrycs

Garrycs Member

Hi all

Sorry if this against board rules
    But I have the disc "Where the humans eat by Willy Mason" and it says on the disc that i need a CD/DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD player in order to play it. On the disc there is a player.exe that i don't want to install and it may be the only way to play the disc.
    As i want to play the music on my ipod, how do i transfer the files by ripping. I can probably record the files the old fashioned way by playing and recording the disc which will take 40 minutes, but that's not on.
    Can anyone help
    Garry

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

SACD discs cannot be read or ripped by computer optical drives.

But as long as it doesn't have any knarly copy protection, you should be able to rip the CD-audio portion of the disc. We here at aD recommend EAC (exact audio copy)...its the best ripper there is. You can find a guide on how to setup and use EAC in my sig below.

3. Garrycs

Garrycs Member

HI

Thanks for the suggestion, but all the files show up as data files and not audio files. So it looks like the files can't be ripped by EAC.
    I read years ago that if a disc has 2 sections music/data, that you can put a line with a marker or a piece of tape across the data line and it only recognises the music. I did get this to work in the past on 2 cd's but i wouldn't like to try it on my own pc.

Anyone else got suggestions.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Firstly, to prevent anything automatically running on disc insert, all you MUST do is disable the autorun functionality of your drive - and this is a good idea regardless, as there are so many discs out there that will install this crap even if you tell them not to.

Bad news is that you do NOT have any rights at all to rip these tracks for iPod use.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2006
  6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

There is no such thing as a software SACD player, or a computer drive that will read/Play them either.

All you can possibly do is extract the Red Book layer - and you don't want to do that as it will be smashed seven ways to sunday in an attempt to make the DSD layer sound better.

The only way to play the SACD layer is in an SACD player.
    The Red Book layer should play in all players, although with the hybrid SACD there is a well-known problem with cracks from the spindle hole, and the more you play the disc the worse this will get.
    Sony have no plans to remedy the fault.

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

ah c'mon wilkes, one of these days you'll come around and start to love Sony. :) LOL

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats what I thought.

That would be cheating... My Musik Soul Star CD/SACD Hybrid sounds great either way (too me). The surround sound track is the main plus.

Ced

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Don't get me wrong - I have heard some great sounding SACD discs.
    In particular, Roxy Music''s Avalon & Bryan Ferry's Boys & Girls are examples of how it can be done.
    Trouble for me is that there are far, far more bad discs - and DSD/SACD has serious issues.
    Ultrasonic noise is the biggie for me - all there is above 23KHz is noise, and lots of it.
    But this is not a thread bashing SACD, SO I will stop now.

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

so you still prefer the 24 bit dvd audio structure as opposed to the 1 bit sacd format?

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

How does 1 Bit audio work anyway?

The SACD camp always talkes about how much 1-bit audio at very high sample rates is better than 24-bit at 192KHz. Is that true?

Ced

12. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Not in my opinion, or that of the AES either.
    As to how it works, Google will provide the answers.

This is a copy of a serious research document about DSD....

And also this:

13. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Can SACD 5.1 channel audio CD's such as DarkSide of the Moon by Pink Floyd be played on a Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound system? Or will it just be a regular CD quality music?

14. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No.
    An SACD will NOT play on a standard DVD player at all.
    It will play on a regular CD player in stereo - as long as it is a HYBRID SACD with a Red Book layer on it.
    It will play on a universal DVD-Audio player, such as a Denon 2910, 3910 etc.
    It will play on an SACD player - but will have to be hooked up with 6 analogue outputs tyo a suitable Surround capable AV amplifier/reciever.

But it will certainly not play through a Dolby Digital system - Sony, in their infinite "wisdom" went totally out on their own with SACD.

15. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Will it still be in 5.1 surround sound if it just plays the regular cd portion of it?

16. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

No.
    On hybrid SACD discs, the CD portion is standard red book 16/44.1 stereo.
    The only way it can possibly play in surround is if it is an Lt/Rt matrix stream, like Dolby ProLogic, ProLogic II or similar.
    Otherwise it is straight stereo only off the CD layer.

17. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

I am not understanding why you express discontent with a media format producing noise beyond human perception. Not just slightly above it, but octaves above it, unless you are roughly 8 years old. By our 20s, we lose the ability to hear several KHz that we could percieve at perfect hearing, typically from 8 to 10... even still we are unable to percieve 23KHz at 8... so who really cares?

Also, I still think Pink Floyd's DSOTM in SACD is the finest representation of multi-channel audio I have heard. I have never been tremendously impressed by multi-channel music to begin with, as I believe my system captures and image depth and stage presance in pure stereo that seems manufactured with MCA. I have yet to be impressed with any DVD-A, where I do like the seperation and depth of real SACD. It has a more natural, less archived sound than DVD-A. Almost like the warmth of a tube amp, or a good vinyl on a solid Goldmund turntable.

Also, you mention Sony went out on a limb by forcing 6 independant audio outs and a capable reciever... Many of the first surround units also required the 6 channel feeds as they didn't have internal digital processors. Here again, I prefer the multi-channel bypass mode of my preamp compared to optical or digital coax since it offers a pure preamp processing bypass... Which is music to my ears.

18. djscoop

djscoop Active member

some people have better ears than others. some can hear about 25Khz, others can't hear beyond 15Khz. Even so, higher samplerate music increases the dynamic range of the audio, which is the difference between the lowest point of audio and the highest, increasing quality. its not all about a higher frequency range.

19. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Then you've obviously never heard the DVD-A/V of DSOTM that is doing the rounds from Alan Parsons' original Quad mix.
    everyone who has heard it agrees that it blows the SACD away.

My DVD-A player has a mode called Dource Direct, which bypasses all DSP, and sounds incredible.
    How good any DVD-A is will depend on the mastering, and if the mastering engineer destroyed the mix with brickwall limiting crushing the living snot out of everything - as is so fashionable these days.
    The format itself is IMHO far, far superior to the single-bit Noise shaped mess that is SACD.

20. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

Wilkes:

I have not heard that Disc, but if it is worth the money, I am open to anything... I just made a statement on my personal observations, which due to my initial disapointment in multi-channel recording I must admit is fairly limited.

My player also offers a multi-channel output for DVD-A, through which my pre-amp will allow direct passthrough. Strangely my DVD-As sound better through my Digital Coax though. In all honesty, being quite new to digital recording (outside quick burns on a CD) I am not terribly familiar with the limiting, and can only guess at the effect it has on the final product.

DJscoop

Dan Wiggins, Manville Smith, and Richard Clark all got involved in an interesting discussion on audible range. Typical optimum human perception is between 20 and 20,000 Hz. However, given time and age, and the noises our ears are subjected to, it has been concluded that typical young/middle adult (~30 years of age) hearing is roughly 35Hz-17KHz. The discussion actually started to center on subwoofer requirements in a room, but eventually led to a discussion on super tweeters crossed at 20KHz+. Interestingly enough, a blind test of well designed speakers using a super tweeter crossed at 18KHz on a 32Db/octave slope yeilded the responce of a few listeners to prefer the units not using a super tweeter as they found the speakers "less pleasant", although they could not determine why. There was no mention of harshness, or overextention (which interestingly enough overextention and a peak of bottom end frequencies at port tuning were noted... they were well versed listeners in the test). Most quality speakers are rated to a maximum of 20KHz flat, with significant rolloff at 20KHz for a reason. In fact, I prefer my builds to utilize a low resonance silk dome, or a fairly heavy ribbon tweeter (to realize the lower frequency range). Also, where room harshness is an issue I will notch the high end at 18KHz for a better in room responce.