1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I record DVD movies on a DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ndfan, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ndfan

ndfan Member

I'm sorry for the basic question, I'm a newbie to this process and would appreciate the help of the experts here. Basically, I received a stand alone DVD recorder for Christmas and I was wondering if I could use it to burn movies from my sister's DVD collection. I realize there may be copyright issues but are there ways of getting around that (or programs one could purchase to allow for recording)? I'd greatly appreciate your help...

Thanks!

2. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

If you have a computer with a DVD burner which can be bought for $50 or less, then you can use DVD Shrink 3.2 to make a complete backup of the DVD movies including extra content ( Trailers,behind the scenes ect.)

I own a Liteon LVW 5001 and have stopped using it because backup DVD-R movies play better off of my moddified XBox than the recorder.

I recently returned to using the DVD recorder to backup some OOP VHS tapes ( Out Of Print) and only about 4 out of 10 were able to be burnt to a blank DVD because of protected content security which will not allow my DVD recorder to record thoes VHS tapes.

3. ndfan

ndfan Member

Thanks for the rely, the computer option is a good one however I don't have one at the moment. So, is there a way to record the movies on an actual DVD recorder? Does it matter which recorder you buy or what recordable DVD's you use...would that help the process?

4. JayDW

JayDW Member

Hello,

I have a similar question. I have a computer, but I also have a stand alone and want to know if there is anyway to copy DVD's without the copyright issue. Is there a device that can be purchased to bypass this or is there a trick to it?

I have the ilodvdr04 and used the region free hack and have done some reading on here and some say this hack makes it so copyriting isnt an issue. And then I have read some that say this hack does not affect copyrighting at all, which one is it?

Also, since most DVD's I'm guessing are larger than 4.7gb dvd's that are blank...is there anyway to either compress the size of a dvd without having to use a dvd drive on your computer (which I doubt) or do they happen to sell Blank DVD's that are larger than 4.7 gb. Just curious.

I too am a newbie here, and any advice would probably help out myself as well as ndfan I'm sure. Thanks in advance you guys.

5. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

hello ndfan and JayDW

ok ndfan...........your question, (ok the dvd recorder you recived), you can copy your sisters dvd collection if you use a....... DVD Player + a "Video Stablizer" + the DVD Recorder you recived........ all hooked together..........what you do is... hook the dvdplayer into the video stablizer then into the dvdrecorder via "Video/Audio In" the video stablizer kills the microvision and all.
    there are also "Hacks" for many dvdplayers and dvdrecorders to kill that protection aswell on the net.........................the computer
    burner is easier in my opion but anyway.
    if you PM me with more imformation on your brand of recorder, i'll know more.

JayDW............you can do it both ways acc. to what you have hardware wise. the Ilodvdr04 can be hacked there are several places on the
    net places to get that imformation.

the stand alone recorder needs either a (vcr)or (dvd player) hooked up to it to transfer VHS to DVD or DVD to DVD. I have found several places with various HACKS imformation aswell.
    the transfer with stand alone stuff is in real time, aswell, i use a dvd burner in my computer with DVD Shrink and DVD Decypter it works great.
    PM me and i'll help you set this up.
    my 2 cents

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  6. ndfan

ndfan Member

Freedom2,
    Thank you for your insight. The DVD Recorder I have is a Sony...I also have the Go DVD converter...and I have a regular Zenith DVD player. Here's my question, when recording a DVD movie what is the process. I've tried it several times and it doesn't seem to work. Do I have to leave my tv on while recording, can I not change the channel and how do I copy the menu? If you or anyone else could advise I'd greatly appreciate it as I'm driving myself nuts! Thanks!