1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i stop this process??

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by wabashman, Feb 26, 2007.

1. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ok, so i have vista on my desktop, havent ran into any major probs with it. but my question is while running itunes, this stupid process entitled "searchfilterhost.exe" maxs out my cpu almost all the time, usually runs at like 65-75% of my cpu power...ugh..and i end the process and it keeps coming back up, but after the 3rd 4th time of killing it it sits at 0% for a while, then jumps back up to the 60+. so is there a way that i can kill this thing for good as i see it doesnt really affect the computer while it is off at all?
    thanks in advance guys

2. bkf

bkf Guest

Try turning off the indexing (search) service

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

where would i do that from?

4. whompus

whompus Active member

I'm not real sure on vista. It should be under Administrative tools>Services

5. wabashman

wabashman Active member

well i go to the control panel, there is the indexing options thing, i click on that and it brings up another popup thing for the options, but i cant find a "turn off" feature anywhere.

6. bkf

bkf Guest

I hope that is not something Microsoft forgot to put in Vista. I still use XP but I did some reading on your problem and your only one of MANY that have the same problem. Many of the forums said turning indexing off works but im at a loss to tell you where to find the button.

7. wabashman

wabashman Active member

well i found out how to uncheck the sections that get indexed, and that seems to have fixed the problem, becuase now when i run itunes and bring up the list of process, its not there at all, so all is good now.