1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Soh5757

Soh5757 Member

ya, lol I did. I'm and idiot that didn't do enough research and after I posted did some more and figured it out lol.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. Manveru

Manveru Member

All SXGA means is that it can achieve a resolution of 1280x1024. It should still work with one of the controller kits from this seller.

3. Pollysd

Pollysd Member

There are a few points that need to be noted before everyone gets too excited.

The first thing to note is that VGA is an analogue display technology. Secondly, laptop LCD's are 100% digital. There is no correlation between VGA and LCD they are two totally different beasts and LCD's will only accept a correct digital input.

The standard for this input for most LCD's is presently (of 2004/2005) - Low voltage differential signaling (LVDS). In fact that thin "paper ribbon cable" on the back of your LCD is referred to as a LVDS cable. To read up on LVDS go here http://www.laptopz.com/dell-screens-c-61_82.html

section 4.2.

The other cable going into the back of your old Laptop LCD Screen the backlight power.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Too late. Everyone has already got very excited... ;-)

5. TheProfosist

TheProfosist Member

hey was looking at all of your lcds working from older laptops i was thinking of taking ones from a newer laptop as i really would like a fairly small but 1080p screen for my desktop i was looking at this one from the ASUS G51J http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-G51J-LAPTO...715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0bbac423 (if you know of cheaper or better ones with the same specs please tell me). is there anything else that i would need to complete this project as im not starting with a laptop.

6. Hardath

Hardath Member

Hi Folks,
    Please forgive if this has already been covered, but I have searched and read most of this long thread and learned much, but still have a few questions.

My aim is to make a poor man's Kindle -- ie a screen to read my downloads, books and pdfs in bed that is much lighter than the 15" awkward laptop that I'm using at present.
    I used to print everything for bedtime reading, but my new $40 printer/scanner costs a fortune for the ink.

So my battered and black-screened Dell Inspiron 1720 got the screen removed and I was going to make an extension lead for the signal and lights to go back to the laptop keyboard that would rest on a shelf next to my bed, level with my head.

Seeing the myriad of minute wires in the connectors, I guessed that an extension lead would not be available ready-made (or would cost an arm and a leg) and soldering this minuscule multitude is beyond my tired old eyes.

So I looked at a 15" Samsung monitor dumped on me from my son's recent upgrade, and when I pulled this apart, the smaller screen, and 20 conductor ribbon that I would need to extend, sold me on this one.

I have two questions. First, looking at a Samsung website about care of LCDs, they mention not to pull or bend the power leads to the lights. Anyone know why? Oh, and there are four wires going to each lamp, two thick and two thin, and they seem to be quite independent sets, having their own sets of electronics. (?inverters?) I guess there would be no problem extending these by a meter or so with 4-core, 7x020, 2.2 amp security wire? Insulation??? Megger???

Second, how would 5 lengths of this same cable be for extending the twenty-wire ribbon? I could even strip the casing off them (in the middle only, to aid marking on the ends) and enclose them in spiral wrap...

The next trick after that will be an angle poise arm to support my "Kindle".

Any comments or problems raised will be much appreciated.

ps, Oh, the monitor gubbins will be kept under the laptop shelf and will be connected to the laptop above it with a standard VGA lead (DE-15M/DE-15M) Cheers, John

7. ecookman

ecookman Member

I have a LTN154P2-L04 15.4" WSXGA+ LCD display that i bought off a friend for 20 bucks, Ive looked for a controller that i can use with a DVI/HDMI input that I can use to display the native format of the screen with. From my searches the best i have found are controllers on www.LCDparts.net does anyone think that these would work?

8. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

There is a suitable controller on ebay here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Compatible-R-RM5451-LCD-Controller-Board-Kit-DVI-/270658532961?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item3f04817661

It has DVI and VGA input and supports the resolution of your screen. Ask the seller if your particular panel model is supported before you buy. It looks like the power supply is no longer included in the kit. May want to ask that too...

I have not yet seen a controller with HDMI input.

9. ecookman

ecookman Member

Argh I'm going to miss the close date on that controller - any ideas where I can look for a controller similar or where else to buy that one?

p.s
    http://lcdparts.net/LCDC.aspx at the bottom of the page there is one with an HDMI input.

10. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

I'm sure the seller will re-list the controller. ;-)

11. Sebbgod

Sebbgod Member

Hi !! I have read some pages of this post, but have some questions yet.

1st: Where can I get the QD15TL02 dataaheet or pinout? I have googled the whole internet but I havent found anything. Without this it seem to be imposible use the display.

2nd: I've found the QD15TL08 datasheet, but I dont know if the pinout is the same.

3rd: Can anyone help me please?

Thanks a lot !!

And sorry, becouse my english is very bad :/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  12. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

If you get the controller that we've been talking about, you don't need to know the pin-out. Tell the seller what panel you want to use it with and they will ship it with the correct cable.

Or do you want to build your own controller?

13. Sebbgod

Sebbgod Member

If I cannot build it, I will buy the controller. Which is the price of the controller? I am from Spain... I hope the shipping wont be to expensive... :p

14. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

The listing is in US$ and the seller is in China. Open your Spanish ebay and search for item number 270674575348. This should show you the item price and postage cost in Euros under the US$ price. These are estimated prices and might be slightly different when you buy, depending on exchange rate.

15. Sebbgod

Sebbgod Member

Ok, thx. I'll eye it.

16. Sebbgod

Sebbgod Member

It's a little expensive. for my economy... xD Im gonna try do it by my self. If I cannot, then I will have to buy it.

And again, sorry becouse my english level...

17. nikos777

nikos777 Guest

18. flor3ntin

flor3ntin Member

Honestly,I'm not such experienced in electronics,put let's try this one out,it might be even fun :)). what do you think if we just took an ordinary desktop monitor,chop the case of desktop and fit it nicely there?of course, the monitor must be very slim, and the chop made on the other side of the unit,not on the one with the PC components next to it :))). I think that with a few adjustments, it might turn out something cool.Anyway, i expect you'r opinions :D

19. Sn0ball

Sn0ball Member

Just a theory...
    Perhaps a digital camera could be utilised as an analogue to digital converter. They take pictures in analogue and then convert them so obviously there is some form of hardware converter within.
    Any thoughts?

20. nlooije

nlooije Member

Hi,

I have been looking for a way to add a DVI input port to my laptop so that i am able to watch tv and play xbox360/ps3 on my laptop monitor. (i travel alot and as you may know DVI inputs on laptops are scarse)

i stumbled upon this thread and i see a possible solution for adding these controllers with DVI input that are discussed here.

i am somewhat familiar with electronics but i am no wizkid on the matter and i was wondering if anyone here has some experience with this or can give me any advice?

One question that i have about this controller:
    I wish to be able to switch between the DVI input (from the TV etc.) and the video input from the onboard laptop gpu/mainboard. Is this possible?

EDIT: so that it is clear basically i want to combine two inputs (GPU on laptop & TV/XBOX/PS3) into one output (to LCD).

thx for any help you can give me

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011