1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i upgrade to a custom firmware from 3.50

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Hardball, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

whats sup i have downloaded from the firmware 3.50 and i wanna know if i can upgrade that using one of dark alexes custom firmware. the only catch is that when i go to check my firmware it says version 1.50 but it doesnt say anything about OE-A or anything i just wanna know if it is okay for me to upgrade without doing anything harmful to my psp and if i can get a custom firmware

2. 5h4d0wXXX

5h4d0wXXX Member

yes you can just download the firm. u want from www.dark-alex.org and it will have instructions.
    just make sure you dont have a TA-082 motherboard.
    to check just look inside the umd door in the top right hand corner or the motherboard if it has writing dont downgrade u will BRICK!!!

3. redice

redice Regular member

if you on 1.50 firmware and want to take your psp up to 3.40oe-a. heres a guide to do so. http://www.psphacking101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9802&sid=91648f036b08d079de1823647a62cca3
    do not delete the eboot or anything leave it in the oeupmaker folder and add the other two as well.

note to mods if i'm unable to post this here please let me know and i will remove it a,s.a.p or you can remove it if you would like. not trying to do any harm by posting it here just trying to help give back to the friendly and helpful people of aD.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  4. Hardball

Hardball Regular member

if you have a TA-082 motherboard can you get a custom firmware?

5. redice

redice Regular member

yes you can look at the guide that i gave you.

6. fuke

fuke Member

Boss, whats the problem if you have TA-082 motherboard?

7. 5h4d0wXXX

5h4d0wXXX Member

sony after figuring out the bug the would let you downgrade released a new mother board that would brick if you tried to downgrade it with the downgraders being used... until a new 1 was discovered making it safe to downgrade again!!!
    to downgrade from 3.10 to 3.50 you need a copy of the lumines umd.
    make sure its NOT the second 1 though.

8. fuke

fuke Member

boss,what do you mean by second 1?

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

The game needed to downgrade is Lumines not Lumines 2. That is what he means by second. Also you can use the original Lumines, the Platinum, and the Greatest Hits version.

10. fuke

fuke Member

ah I see.thanks boss....

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah if you can't find a copy in any store go to eBay, theres 300+ copies on it now and many "buy It Now" auctions with "Buy It Now" prices in the low 40's to mid 50's.

12. zarif123

zarif123 Member

ok i bought lumines from ebay. i have TA-082 motherboard, is it ok for me to downgrade my psp to 1.50 and then downgrade custom firmware, to play homebrew and other stuff u know?

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Alrighty below is a guide to downgrade a 3.50 any motherboard PSP to firmware 1.5.

First thing is first we must get you to firmware 3.5 so we can start downgrading! Download the 3.5 firmware update from here.. Extract the file from the zip archive. Now rename the file to "UPDATE.PBP" without the quotes. In the GAME folder of your memorystick create a folder called UPDATE and put the UPDATE.PBP in there. Now with your battery charged to at least 80% and charger plugged in go to the game menu and run the 3.50 Update. After it is completed format your memorystick. Now just follow the guide that I have below....

Don't pay any attention to were it says "Don't Put Files in these folders". I made that pic for a different guide. If the downgrader says put the files in one of those folders then do it:)

For the entire duration of this guide have your PSP plugged in and at least at 80% battery life.

Files needed to downgrade:
    3.50 Downgrading Files
    Firmware 1.5 EBOOT

1) Format your memory-stick. After it has been formatted go into USB mode.

2) Unzip the 3.50 Downgrade files (350dg.zip). Copy the folder named PSP into the root of your memorystick.
    Don't know what the root of your memory stick is? Check out the pic below...
    [​IMG]

3) Extract the firmware 1.5 eboot. Rename the file to UPDATE.PBP and copy it into the UPDATE folder within the GAME folder that is within the PSP folder. If needed create a folder called UPDATE.
    Make sure not to overwrite the file named EBOOT.PBP

4) Now exit USB mode. Insert the Lumines UMD into your PSP's UMD drive. Load the game. When the game gets to the start screen press "start".

5) A "loading save game" screen should appear momentarily,the screen will then clear itself and should be filled with a light blue color. At this step the PSP should reset itself and be back at the XMB.

6)The last processed was suppose to haev initiated HEN. To make sure HEN is running go to System Settings and then System Information and ensure that the firmware reads as being at 3.50 HEN.

7) Assuming that it is showing up as 3.50 HEN you can now go to the game menu and run UPDATE X.YZ

8)Before the Downgrader does anything to your PSP it will ask for you to agree to what it is about to do. Hit either X to agree or the R trigger to exit.

9)Once you have agreed to start the downgrade do not remove the battery plug or unplug the PSP.

10)Once finished the PSP will ask you to "press X to resest", after pressing it should reset itself. (If it don't reset press O instead)

11)If a blue screen (BSOD) comes up saying that the settings are corrupt press X or O to continue. Then press either X or O.

12) Congrats your now at homebrew capable firmware 1.5!

Now I also assume you want to upgrade to the latest OE firmware. This process is incredibly simple. First format your memory card. Now put your PSP in USB mode. Then run the 3.40 OE-A Easy Installer.. Now exit from USB mode. Go to the game menu and run the 3.40 OE-A Updater.(It may not be named that exactly but it should be close). Press X to agree... When it's done you will be at custom firmware 3.40 OE-A!

If your interested in any firmware besides 3.40 OE-A let me know and I'll help you out.

14. zarif123

zarif123 Member

thanks all u guyz especially PeaInAPod. i bought lumines from ebay and i followed PeaInAPod's insturctions and now my psp is 3.40oe. but i have problem how do i play homebrew in 3.40oe?
    thanks again

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Homebrew programs come in two folders. The folders are named like this (name of homebrew) & (name of homebrew)% put these folders in the GAME150 folder.

16. zarif123

zarif123 Member

thanks man and iso/cso files playin in my psp

17. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Glad to hear it, if you ever need anymorehelp let me know.