1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I use a dell optiplex gx270 2.8ghz tower for gaming?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bluejet, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bluejet

bluejet Regular member

I know i couldn't use it with it's default hardware, but if I put a geforce 6800 OC agp card along with a stick of ram, and a larger power supply, would it be decent for games? If so what type of games?

I also have a shuttle sb61g2 that has a bad motherboard, could I use it's cpu or processor and put it in the optiplex?

Thanks for your help

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I think the processor is kinda slow, but I think you could use it for gaming. You can use it possibly for Battlefield 2, BF2142 possibly Quake Wars and other current games.

However, you will definetly not be able to use it for upcoming games like crysis, and the other directx10 games as your pc doesnt have enough power to run them.

You could go on ebay and buy a new system.... I say a pretty nice one going for $1500 USD the other day.

3. BadBone

BadBone Guest

I don't know about the gaming capabilities, but i would suggest you consider buying a new system,

those GX270's are plagued with bad capacitors, and a while back Dell paid out a lot of money to people to refund their cost of repairing the boards.

Unfortunately, i have one at home right now, and where i am from, its hard to locate replacements capacitors for em.

4. bluejet

bluejet Regular member

bad capacitors with the tower version??

5. BadBone

BadBone Guest

The one i have is a tower, with a 2.4 Ghz peocessor, all the caps beside the processor are bulged at the top and with brown stuff coming out

the caps are rated at 6.3v 3300 microfarad

i only have caps that have 6.3v, 2200

afraid to try em though, don't wanna ruin the board

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

BadBone: I wouldn't if I were you, that's asking for trouble.
    Bluejet: You could, but for similar money you could build a brand new PC!