1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use a HDD in anyway?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by itstemo1, Apr 22, 2007.

1. itstemo1

itstemo1 Member

I heard that you can't even export or import Save Games using Codebreaker

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Nope, not that I know of. If you could, I would have tried to have it done on my silver, slim PS2 by now if I could afford the cash for even a decent 20~40 gig hard drive. From what I've heard, it's mainly used on the old fat PS2s due to the ports or something, but I'm unclear about this. Someone should be able to give you a better answer. As far as I know, mainly the SCH-3xxxx are able to fully support it or something. Mainly, the v3 PS2 to the v7 PS2 versions? It's been awhile, sorry.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

I am pretty sure that only the V12 and V13 slimline can be modded to run the hard drive as they have the HD Combo case that they will fit in.

you can of course run an external hard drive with USB Extreme, but the game compatibility is probably around 75% and it will not give all the advantages of an internal drive.

4. kurosawa9

kurosawa9 Member

PS2 Model SCPH-77001 Instruction Manual, Pg. 30

"The following accessories are not compatible with this model of the Playstation(R)2 console:"

SCPH-20401 U -- Internal hard disk drive (40GB) (for Playstation(R)2)

I was bummed when I saw that myself, as I had an interest in getting one. I think they didn't allow for compatibility because the HDD is no longer on the market, so unfortunately those who decided to trade out to a slim model (or those who had an original model that broke down) are stuck. If you play FFXI (I assume that's what you wanted the HDD for), you could still get on via PC, if you have one strong enough. I believe character data is stored server side, so you can get right back in without starting over. Hope this helps.

5. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

On the SCPH-77001 (i have it too...sucks), only official licensed Sony USB peripherals will run. Pendrives are locked out, and just about every other USB device. If you find someone that will hardmod your new slimline, the usbcombo case mod might work. I'm not sure about that, check with any of the regulars at ps2hd.com for an answer.