1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i use dvd-loader without a mod-chip ?!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by LILfeatha, Sep 16, 2004.

1. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

hey guys, im new here, and i was wondering,

i got dvd-loader (which was 500k packed, and 500mb unpacked :-O !) and i was wondering, can i just burn this with a cd-burner, pop it into my ps2, then itll ask me for a CD, ill burn some games i dld (if they're bigger than 700mb ill get a dvd-burner from a friend) and then i put em in and play? that every time ? i dont mind, i really dont wanna pay 100$ (i live overseas, not in the US, so its approx 100$) for someone to solder the chip for me, dont wanna risk it, nor pay the money.
    how can i play games without the mod-chip ? is dvd-loader what i need or what ?
    plz explain this to me guys this is really good if ill be able to do it like that, i dont see y theres swap magic, cd-loader and dvd-loader (w/e the difference between those 2 is) if u cant use those without a mod chip...

10x,

LILfeatha

2. thepudge

thepudge Member

the dvd-loader i think your talking about is for the Swap Magic discs. V9 and V10 PS2 cant read the CD Swap magic disc, so someone made a dvd loader for CD games. but you need to load the swap magic disc first. then slide card or flip top to the dvd loader for cd games or a burned 1:! dvd game. so to answer your question. Yes you can use dvd loader with out a chip but you need swap magic..

if im down the wrong path on your question sorry

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  3. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

well that still didnt help me so much, lets see..

my version is v7 (SCPH-39001), so it is possible without swap magic ? since i only have dvd-loader, and also, will dvd-loader load CDS ? cause i dont have a dvd-burner and i have alot of bin and cues here that are less than 700 mb in size...
    if i still need swap magic, is there an iso of it somewhere or something like that ?
    and also, if i do/dont, how do i do it ? burn the dvd-loader with a regular cd-burner (or do i need a dvd-burner ? its only 500mb) put it in the ps2 tray, then itll ask me to put in a CD, ill put one of my burned games (didnt burn any, once this'll work i will though)

also, my PS2 is NTSC since i bought it in the US, will the dvd-loader be able to play PAL games, and JAP games, and cd-r's and dvd-r's ? only DVD - R or DVD + R aswell ? its v7...

10x guys, im really confused about this, and if its possible i dont wanna pay for a mod-chip, if i will need to pay for a mod-chip theres no point in this dvd-loader thing i guess...

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Dvd loader is just like a burnt game. You can't load burnt games without a mod, so you cand load dvd loader without a mod. You have to BUY swap magic, if you burn it, it wont boot. If you don't want a mod chip, you need to buy swap magic and a fliptop, http://ps2cover.com/ps2coverblackcombosm3.html

5. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

You will need a fliptop or slide card and swap magic disc!
    You cant download swap magic and just burn it cause it wont work they have to be pressed like an original game which cannot be done without a big expensive machine.

There arnt many ps2 games on cd and hardly any new games come out on cd so you will have to get a dvd burner im afraid.

6. thepudge

thepudge Member

thats what i said.

7. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

so whats dvd-loader for ? if u have swap magic...
    and whats that flip top ? can i make it myself ?

*sigh* i guess ill just get a mod-chip and delete dvd-loader, no reason to keep it if i have to get a mod-chip anyways, am i right ?

and also, my friend has an external dvd-burner, ill just ask him to give it to me whenever i get new games, and buy dvd media, what if his burner is for only DVD+R ? is that ok ? or will i have to get a burner that supports DVD-R aswell, and get DVD-R media ?

10x guys,

LILfeatha

8. thepudge

thepudge Member

the dvd-loader. is for CD games, the one i have is the same Cd-loader that comes on the cdloaderv5 but is made to burn on a DVD. so when i want to play a game thats on a burned CD i use my swap magic DVD disc>dvd-loader> then CD game.
    so if you have swap magic DVD you do not need the dvd-loader to play dvd games only cd games. which are now pretty rare cept for the kids games like harry potter.

my dvd burner is a +R only and it works fine i have had no problem with it burning any games on any media so far.

hope that helps

9. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

what version do u have ?
    o, i see, u buy swap magic, then it lets u play burned cd-games, but if u want dvd-games (whcih are most of em, 750+ in size) u use dvd-loader ? woah, thats annoying :p
    u didnt want a mod-chip cause u didnt want to solder a mod-chip yourself ?
    well i got some ppl here that can do it for me, its just kinda expensive, comes down to about 100$ (im overseas, so thats approx :p)
    am i correct in all these ?

man sony sux :p

KoMoDo

10. thepudge

thepudge Member

i have swap magic dvd 2.0 ps2 v10
    i dont have a chip cause the ps2 is new and still under war. not void. if i play dvd games, i just use the SM2.0 disc no other burned discs are needed

11. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

thats cool, but ill just get myself a mod-chip and then i wont need to do ANY swapping, which rulez :p

was i correct in all ive said in my previous reply ?

10x for the help guys,

LILfeatha

12. thepudge

thepudge Member

13. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

ok great, u got any IM progs ? tell me which ones u have and ill give u my info for one of em.

14. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

come on pudge, cd/dvd loader is not just for cd games. it is used to boot games that swap magic has trouble with, http://www.swapmagicfix.com
    And, lil, your ps2 should have no trouble reading +r backups.

15. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

cool, ill get a mod-chip sometime soon hopefully, i have 3 sources to choose from, havent found out pricing yet, its a holiday here, and ive got school next week, so maybe tomorrow/ next friday or sometimes next week ill find out, u guys got any IM (instant messaging) progs ? to talk about good ps2 games to get, etc.

16. thepudge

thepudge Member

sorry sly, im the worst person in the world

17. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

lol, don't be so hard on yourself pudge. Actually most of the games that require cd/dvd loader are on dvd. But, your were half right, my swap magic cd doesn't work so thats how i play cd based games.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  18. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

*sigh* he was kidding :p

man im so bummed, i have to pay for some guy to put a mod-chip in my PS2, and im afraid itll only play NTSC games (since i bought the PS2 in the US) and the guys here prolly only did PAL in their life, so thats all the mod chip supports, i really hope im wrong and itll be able to play dvd - R's ill burn, dvd + R's ill burn, CD - R's ill burn, from both NTSC and PAL formats.

LILfeatha

19. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

if you get a good mod chip, it will play both, like dms3.

20. LILfeatha

LILfeatha Member

i doubt they have those kind of mod chips there... they'll prolly use the cheapest thing available, hopefully, itll all be alright.