1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use my current Windows XP key with and old XP boot disc?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Se7enwolf, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Se7enwolf

Se7enwolf Guest

ok, I am needing to reinstall windows on a new hard drive I got but I never got a boot disc with this computer/windows xp I got but I have the serial key. I do have a older version of Windows XP version 1.1 boot disc that I got with my last computer that I got rid of and dont have the serial key to no more (the HD that it was installed on has been erased/formated).

Now can I use the serial key from my current windows XP with that older version?

And/or can I use my serial key with a downloaded version of Windows XP?

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

If your older disc is a retail disc, then you can use it. If it's an OEM disc, then you can't. With that being said, if it's an OEM disc, you may be able to use the serial number from the OEM sticker on the computer. Depending on the age of the newer computer, it may not work. Finally, you can call the manufacturer of the computer and have them ship you a new restore disc. You may have to pay shipping and handling, but it's cheaper than buying a new license of XP.