1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i use nandtool to mend bricked psp?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by basil1492, Nov 15, 2007.

1. basil1492

basil1492 Member

Hi, i've got an old fat psp which wont work even with pandora or cemetry mem stick. I made pandora etc with my boys psp and the menu works in that but when i put in bricked psp screen stays dark, lights on power, mem and wifi stay on, all for about 15 secs then turns itself off. Ive tried brightness and holding R button etc but nothing works. Is it possible to use nandtool or something to take a backup of my boys psp and then somehow use the backup on bricked psp. My boys on 3.40oe at mo but can change to 1.50 if needed. I read something from ninja 5601 in this link http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/39/552549 which seems exactly same problem as mine but cant get hold of ninja5601 to ask him how he did it. I dont have a nanddump of bricked one as this was a while ago i bricked it and really didnt know what i was doing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

You shouldn't use a Nand-backup from another PSP. That would help you gain more problems then lose them. Have you tried to see if the battery + memory stick work in another PSP?

3. basil1492

basil1492 Member

Ive used it in my boys, i get the menu up on there, x for down to 150 etc but in mine (bricked one) all i get is black screen. You say it may make it worse but not sure how. Pandora and cemetry doesnt work (mikebeaver helped me make cemetry) and seems i have no other option. I have read on other sites that if you use fat psp nand dump from a 1.5 it can be used in other fat psps but was hoping for different solution. If i get no other ideas in next few days then i may as well try it. The link i gave on 1st post shows someone called ninja used it and it worked but cant get hold of him

4. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

You may Need a UPMS installer just in case you have corrupted your flash1. UPMS can fix it simply. No matter what you do, do not try the phyisical restore of nand because your whole psp will break. Games will not work, wifi cards won't either... IDstorage keys will go corrupt.

5. basil1492

basil1492 Member

Hi, thanks for reply, what is upms installer and will it work even though i cant see anything on screen? I wont try the nandtool then if you are sure it will wreck the psp

6. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

Good. UPMS is a CSO that can install a magic memory stick/battery creator to your desired memory stick. It has a new menu which allows you to acess usb and fix flash1 corruption.

7. ovrfiendx

ovrfiendx Regular member

Hey folks good to see we are making waves here to.
    The newest U.P.M.S has a legal and clean nand for a Phat PSP. If you restore without keys it should be fine. I would try the flash1 first though as stated by Marlino23 or just a simple up/downgrade with one of the Pandoras in U.P.M.S.

8. basil1492

basil1492 Member

Hi, tried upms, didnt work. When i try in my boys i get the upms menus but when i put into my bricked psp i get power light and nothing else. Tried pushing x, brightness etc but nothing, not even the mem stick light. With pandora power,mem and wifi light all came on and stayed on but just power with this. It def not the battery or mem stick cos they work on my boys. Any other suggestions please? Im totally out of ideas

9. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

Ouch, that's tough. I think it could be screwed tbh with you. Hmm. Trying to think here.. Have you taken appart your PSP before? That could cause problems too. Maybe ask ninja5601 how he did it through a PM.

10. basil1492

basil1492 Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have pmed ninja but no reply. I havent taken it apart before but out of interest what could be wrong if i had. Only asking in case something has gone wrong and i can fix it by taking it apart. I was wondering about the screen but if that were the case the mem stick light would come one. If it were the memstick then i doubt that light would have come on under pandora original. I am willing to take it apart if you have any suggestions cos got nothing to lose at moment.

11. basil1492

basil1492 Member

btw, this is ninjas problem(same as mine) but he fixed his.
    I can't get to my Recovery Menu, because when I turn it on, the power LED comes on, and the screen stays blank(no backlight, not even power on sound.) Then it just shuts off. Therefore, I figured I'd bricked my PSP and set to work creating a Pandora battery on my other PSP I have, which the backlight is defective but i can see enough to get the pandora programs working.

Now when I put my "Magic" Memory stick in, and then the Pandora battery, it turns on, and all three LEDs turn on as well, but the screen remains black, no backlight, not even the hint of an image. I tried pushing the X button, in case the screen wasn't working and the Memory Stick LEDs just stay on, no flashing, nothing. I tried hitting the Brightness button as mentioned in other posts, but not even that works. I'm at a loss here, and i'm astonished because my PSP had worked perfectly not seconds before I tried rebooting it in Recovery.
    (then) Gah! I finally get it to run, and the damned thing freezes on "Formating Flash0", I read somewhere I need a NandTool because it's a problem with my partition table, and that I should dump my Nand and repair it with that, so that's what I'm going to do.

I'll let you guys know if that works.
    (then)Anywho, the NANDTool got it working just great, followed the instructions for it, and now it's finally installing 3.71 m33 as I type. Though, i've learned my lesson not to chance the themes until updating to the most recent. x3. Thank you all again, for all your help, i'm soooo happy I got this to work.
    sorry about double post, thought this was important.

12. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@basil1492 - just edit your previous post instead :)

13. marlino23

marlino23 Regular member

Sorry to say, but I really have no other ideas. Just be patient and wait for Ninja to reply.